Questions for Admissions Committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoeclothes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What questions should be asked ?:confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I always like "How many students per cadaver?"

A question that they probably haven't heard 1000000 times.

or... you can ask questions like "how do students perform on the national boards?"... "what are things about the program you would want to see changed?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't stress about this question from now. The problem with such "pre-formulating" is that you may have all of these questions answered in the information sessions and tours. Questions about board scores, anatomy labs, student life, grading systems, curriculum, electives- from my experience, all of these are answered before the interview.

I would say just go in with an open mind and some questions may pop up that a student guide or information session can't answer. Otherwise, I wouldn't be afraid to say, "no, i had a ton of questions, and they were all answered earlier in the information sessions".

If you had a good conversation with your interviewer, your answers (or lack of answers) to this question will not make/break your acceptance.

for my last interview i went in with some pre-formulated questions written down based on what i'd read about the school on their website. most were answered earlier in the day, but i asked him a couple of questions that weren't. for the most part i think it's easier to come up with them on the spot based on the conversation you're having. it is a little difficult, though, if they say at the very end "do you have any questions?" in that case go with the pre-formulated or else do what mike59 suggested. my personal favorite is "what do you feel are the major strengths of your school?" or "what do you think your school does particularly well?" or something to that effect.

The "do you have any questions for us" gets kind of tiring after a while. I'm goign to lose it one of these times...

"Do you have any.."

- "No."

"Not even a ..."

- "No."

"Aren't you wondering abotu the..."

- "No, not really."

"Well is there anything I can tell you about...."

- "No."

A few weeks later:

"Dear interviewer,

Thanks for meeting with me. I enjoyed our conversation about nothing. When should I show up for classes? Peace out."

At UCONN, I asked about the student life. I was kind of worried about that, because the med school is separate from the main campus.

I think in the future, I'll asked more academic related questions.

Oh, I asked my student interviewer how she liked UConn.

C.

Originally posted by CaNEM
The "do you have any questions for us" gets kind of tiring after a while. I'm goign to lose it one of these times...

"Do you have any.."

- "No."

"Not even a ..."

- "No."

"Aren't you wondering abotu the..."

- "No, not really."

"Well is there anything I can tell you about...."

- "No."

A few weeks later:

"Dear interviewer,

Thanks for meeting with me. I enjoyed our conversation about nothing. When should I show up for classes? Peace out."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ive been on a number of interviews now, and whenever they ask me this, i usually at least ask one question. the problem is, they hardly ever know the answer to anything that doesn't pertain to their specific area. ie. psychiatrist may know about the neuroscience curriculum, but more than likely doesn't know anything about student life, specifics of board scores, residency stuff... its been frustrating for me because when i ask a question, they don't have an answer. so know i just say that all of my question have already been answered.