Questions for Application Cycle 2016 with Delayed DAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverDenistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a senior this year. I will be applying to dental schools this cycle of 2016. However, I have yet to take my DAT, I will be studying after Spring 2016 semester over and planning to take my DAT sometimes in the middle of August.
Here is my current status:
New Year residency.
Overall GPA: 3.99
Science GPA: 3.98.
About 200 hours of shadowing (general dentist, orthodontic, oral surgeon, pediatric dentistry).
About 100 hours of volunteer and community service.

Please help me with the following questions I have:
1. I will do the best to have my application e-summited by June 25th without my DAT score, and my DAT score probably won't be updated until Late August since I will be taking my on middle of Aug. Is this too late for early chance acceptance?
2. are 100 hours of volunteer and community service not enough?
3. I am very worried about my DAT, there is nothing I can do to take my DAT any time soon. Please give me your advice about my current situation.

Please give me your advice and answer my questions, all you. Truly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
*takes sunglasses off*
incredible...

Members don't see this ad :)
your gpa is.......its.......incredible...

1. I will do the best to have my application e-summited by June 25th without my DAT score, and my DAT score probably won't be updated until Late August since I will be taking my on middle of Aug. Is this too late for early chance acceptance?

No, not too late for an early chance at acceptance. It is later than ideal, so you will probably be receiving interviews a little later in the cycle, but there are people who complete at the end of August and get pre-December acceptances.

2. are 100 hours of volunteer and community service not enough?

This probably depends on the school and how active they want to see applicants in community service. Duration and extent of involvement are also factors.

3. I am very worried about my DAT, there is nothing I can do to take my DAT any time soon. Please give me your advice about my current situation.

Study hard and do well? Your GPA is close to perfect so you won't need to do particularly well on the DAT to get in somewhere, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Study hard and do well? Your GPA is close to perfect so you won't need to do particularly well on the DAT to get in somewhere, so I wouldn't be too worried.
Unless, of course, grade inflation comes to mind.

No, not too late for an early chance at acceptance. It is later than ideal, so you will probably be receiving interviews a little later in the cycle, but there are people who complete at the end of August and get pre-December acceptances.

This probably depends on the school and how active they want to see applicants in community service. Duration and extent of involvement are also factors.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated it.

Please re-phrase your sentence in another words. I am a non-native speaker.
He is saying that if your DAT score is very low, admissions committees may worry that your GPA may be inflated. In other words, your school gave students A's whose work at other schools may have earned them lower grades. Now, he isn't saying that happened, but a low DAT score combined with a high GPA may suggest that. For that reason, it's important to do relatively well on the DAT... Which everyone should aim to do so anyway. Hope that helps.