Questions for Neurology Interviews. . .

Started by peach4me
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

peach4me

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Does anyone know typical questions asked on neurology interviews? Thanks.
 
Hi, I went to about 10 interviews this season. It was mostly small talk, but these questions stand in my mind, asked by some programs:
-why neurology?
-what do you see yourself doing after training?
-why do you want to move to "x"
-tell me about a difficult interaction with a patient
-what are qualities a good neurology resident should possess?
-tell me about yourself
-what do you like to do outside of medicine?
-only one program asked me to esentially present a case. (that was weird)

The most important question in my mind:
Do you have any questions for me? And here is where you hopefully can ask tons about their program

And unfortunately, I did get asked here and there about whether I had a significant other and how that would affect my plans to move.

By and large, most programs just wanted to see that you are a normal being, capable of conversing and being personable.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-where else are you interviewing
-what geographic area are you looking at
-what are you looking for in a program
-where do you see yourself in 10 years
-do you have a specific interest within neurology
-how did you like going to x medical school, x undergrad
-do you have any questions
 
questions you can ask-

research opportunities
description of education opportunities-protected didactic time
mentoring
ask about the different hospitals
elective time
subspecialty representation

whatever you are interested in and will help you figure out if this program is a good fit for you.
 
-where else are you interviewing

I remember hating this question during med school interviews. I sometimes gave vague answers and my interviewer didn't seem pleased with that, or I rattled off a complete list and my interviewer would give me a poker face.

I really can't figure out the best way to answer this question. I think I'm going to list geographic locations and sidestep mentioning specific programs. Any other thoughts on this?