Questions for optometrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longlashes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

When you graduate from optometry school and go out to look for a job, do employers generally think highly of those who graduate from a more competitive opto school like UCBSO versus ICO? Will a graduate from UCBSO have an easier time getting offers? For optometry, how do graduates look for jobs? Ads? When I browse online ads and look in the newspaper, I don't really see postings looking for optometrist. I do ads for pharmacists and dentists.
As an OD that has employed a couple of docs, I have never taken into account where any applicant has graduated from in my decision of whether or not to hire someone. I look at GPA, externship experience, and LOR's.

As an OD that has employed a couple of docs, I have never taken into account where any applicant has graduated from in my decision of whether or not to hire someone. I look at GPA, externship experience, and LOR's.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

When you graduate from optometry school and go out to look for a job, do employers generally think highly of those who graduate from a more competitive opto school like UCBSO versus ICO? Will a graduate from UCBSO have an easier time getting offers? For optometry, how do graduates look for jobs? Ads? When I browse online ads and look in the newspaper, I don't really see postings looking for optometrist. I do ads for pharmacists and dentists.

On the contrary, I found 21 postings in New York Times online's classified section. There are more from other sources as well.
http://jobs.nytimes.com/js.php?view...ometrist&qRegion=&qInd=&qSort=smart&x=10&y=11

Perhaps it's time to move to a location that has a better job outlook?

The only thing most employers are interested in is whether you have a license to practice. If you have graduated from an optometry school and have passed the boards, competance will be assumed.
As for job postings, try the PCO web site...they have a postings section. State Associations may also have postings.

I'll be looking for an associate in about 4 years.....interested...LOL

JP

Entering school, grades where important. - Not now

When I interview potential associates, I look for personality that can relate to a varied patient base. If they can not carry on a conversation with me, they can't carry on a normal conversation with a patient.

Pass boards, get your licence, and have a personality - you will have a job. Your school is not important, only gives you experience.

Oh, ICO is just as challenging. Been there, done that.
Dr. Godfrey O.D.

My current co-doc hired me after meeting me at a CE dinner. Apparently, from my personality he spotted me as a "practice builder".

It wasn't until a week after I started working that he looked at my diploma on the wall and went... "you went to Houston ??!! ... Huh. Good school".

especially in Florida, all that's really looked at is did you pass the killer Florida board exam.

What's so killer about it?

Florida only accepts NBEO Part 1 and 2, not 3.
They make you take their own exam, which includes:

1) A 5.5 hour written pharm/treatment/dx exam
2) the typical state law exam
3) a two part/session clinical practical in front of Florida board members.

It also is only offered ONCE every year and costs $2000 to take it.

So, if you fail... better luck next year. (no pressure)

The pass rate is usually around 60%.

Dr. Chudner,

You mentioned externship experience as one of the factors you look at when hiring. What exactly are you looking for? I had never thought of that as something that could help/hurt my chances at a job, so it would be good to find out more before I have to start wading through all my choices!

PGE

Dr. Chudner,

You mentioned externship experience as one of the factors you look at when hiring. What exactly are you looking for? I had never thought of that as something that could help/hurt my chances at a job, so it would be good to find out more before I have to start wading through all my choices!

PGE
I like to see students that take the more challenging externships. My rotation at the Oakland VA was pathetic compared to working with Bruce Onofrey in New Mexico, and my IHS rotation in Oklahoma. If a new grad took cake rotations where they were unlikely to see difficult cases, I am less likely to be impressed.

Bruce Onofrey has to be about the coolest, smoothest clinician I know. I love to go to his lectures. An extern at his site I would think would be fantastic. Have you noticed how much weight he has lost of late. I guess riding bikes in NM pays off...I should start that myself.

I like to see students that take the more challenging externships. My rotation at the Oakland VA was pathetic compared to working with Bruce Onofrey in New Mexico, and my IHS rotation in Oklahoma. If a new grad took cake rotations where they were unlikely to see difficult cases, I am less likely to be impressed.

How do you know which rotations are going to be the most challenging?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bruce Onofrey has to be about the coolest, smoothest clinician I know. I love to go to his lectures. An extern at his site I would think would be fantastic. Have you noticed how much weight he has lost of late. I guess riding bikes in NM pays off...I should start that myself.
Bruce is a friend of mine. He has lost a lot of weight and not only bikes in NM, but he will hit the gym in between lectures at meetings. He is one of the few disease lecturers I know that when he says he does something in clinic, you can be sure he really does.

Whoa crap! Is there any indication that they'll change this?

No, they like it this way. It keeps the number of licenses in Florida down so there's less competition. Also, if you haven't taken the NBEO in the last five years... they make you take it again (both parts 1 and 2). No, you didn't read that wrong...

Note: If you plan on EVER practicing in Florida.... get your license here AS SOON AS YOU GRADUATE!! I can't even fathom going back and taking part 1 again and I only graduated two years ago !! :scared:

Also, if you haven't taken the NBEO in the last five years... they make you take it again (both parts 1 and 2). No, you didn't read that wrong...

I thought that was how most if not all states were...?? I heard someone say something of the sort and that is why many students take multiple state boards and put their membership on some sort of hold status so if they ever want to move, they can.

This is interesting since getting externships is almost a lottery system for us. I was fortunate to get 5 of the 6 sites I requested. Some people were hit with 3 of 6 school rotations, and they were not pleased (all but a couple of students had to have 2 school rotations...we were told to sign up for at least two). What might be seen as the most challenging externship sites are often the most popular, so a lot of people don't get what they want. I guess I'm just kind of surprised that it can have such an impact (provided we get a reasonable range of experience) when a lot of it is beyond the student's control.

Also, the VA rotations we go on are seen as the most rigorous. Hmm. I'm not doing a VA rotation, but I will have one at an IHS in Oklahoma. :)

I also find it interesting reading how different ODs have such different approaches to GPA. Most people I've heard say it's not so much of an issue, pretty much how eyeguy was saying. My husband thinks I'm crazy for being so neurotic about grades still, but I just can't help it. Just out of curiosity, how do you approach cases where 20% of a class fails a course :eek: (I was not part of this 20%!), 67% gets a C, and one student gets an A? I guess you wouldn't know just based on one student's transcript. I've just wondered how this makes my class on the whole look to potential employers. I know for a fact every single student studied relentlessly for that class...and for the final with an average score of 47%.... :p

What might be seen as the most challenging externship sites are often the most popular, so a lot of people don't get what they want. I guess I'm just kind of surprised that it can have such an impact (provided we get a reasonable range of experience) when a lot of it is beyond the student's control.
When I say that I look at extern sites, remember that I am one doctor. I have no idea if other doctors look at anything other than whether or not you graduated and passed the boards. I am remotely involved with student education and I try to keep on top of what's going on with training, so I may be the exception.
I also find it interesting reading how different ODs have such different approaches to GPA. Most people I've heard say it's not so much of an issue, pretty much how eyeguy was saying. My husband thinks I'm crazy for being so neurotic about grades still, but I just can't help it. Just out of curiosity, how do you approach cases where 20% of a class fails a course :eek: (I was not part of this 20%!), 67% gets a C, and one student gets an A? I guess you wouldn't know just based on one student's transcript. I've just wondered how this makes my class on the whole look to potential employers. I know for a fact every single student studied relentlessly for that class...and for the final with an average score of 47%.... :p
GPA was first on my list, but that was only because I wrote it first. When I have interviewed OD's no one has ever had their transcript to show me, nor have I asked for it. I trust what they put on their CV, and if they don't have it on there I will ask during the interview. I think grades are important, but at the end of the day if you graduate and pass the boards you will find a job.

How do you know which rotations are going to be the most challenging?

I think that this presupposes that you want a particular emphasis in your post graduate practice life. I will say that no matter what you think you want to do before you graduate, I would highly recommend as broad an experience as possible in order to prepare for any possible changes in practice environments in the future. It is also likely that most doctors may experience more than practice situations before settling down which may last for several years. In addition, family life may also dictate a more flexible approach to practice situations. Therefore, focusing too closely in one field may significantly reduce your future choices.

This goes for predoctoral externships/clinical rotations, concurrent graduate degrees and post graduate residencies.

Richard Hom OD FAAO
Grand Rounds Web Site for the OD

I thought that was how most if not all states were...?? One of my staff doctors said something of the sort and that is why many students take multiple state boards and put their membership on some sort of hold status so if they ever want to move, they can.

As far as I was told Florida is one of the only states that does this.

As far as I was told Florida is one of the only states that does this.

Are there less ODs in Florida per x amount of people compared to other states?

Are there less ODs in Florida per x amount of people compared to other states?

There were 1,432 ODs practicing in Florida in 2006.

Florida has 17.8 million people.

That equals 12,430 people per doctor. (But, this doesn't include OMDs)

There were 1,432 ODs practicing in Florida in 2006.

Florida has 17.8 million people.

That equals 12,430 people per doctor. (But, this doesn't include OMDs)

Do you know if there are more OMDs in Florida than other states?

my optometrist dreams of practicing in florida have gone to hell =D

When hiring an associate optometrist, the first things I would look for (after licensure) are ability to listen, collect and organize data (sometimes under pressure), think rationally and make a diagnosis, and formulate a treatment plan that makes sense in the real world. I would encourage all optometry students to consider advanced training such as a residency, but none of it matters if you cannot do the above.