Questions for pharmacy techs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hightides

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm currently working towards a Associates of Occupational Studies degree and am enrolled in the Pharmacy Technician program. I have an assignment that includes interviewing a tech and was hoping to receive some input from anyone who is or has worked as a tech in a pharmacy. If you have a few moments I would greatly appreciate any answers that you may have. These are the questions I came up with, but any input would be great.

1. How long have you worked as a pharmacy technician?

2. How did you become a tech? (formal education, on-the-job training?)

3. Did you take PTCB exam to become certified? If so, did you feel prepared for it? If not, do you plan to take the exam at some point?

4. What type of setting do you work in? (retail, hospital?) If you have worked in other types of settings, how does your current position compare to the other?

5. Do you enjoy working in a pharmacy? Why or why not?

6. Do you see yourself continuing to work as a pharmacy tech long-term? Is there potential for advancement?

7. Do you have any advice or suggestions for someone going into this field?

Once again, any input is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I took a stab at it for you.:)

Just over 1yr.

No formal or on-the-job training. Studied one of those pharm tech books.

3. Did you take PTCB exam to become certified? If so, did you feel prepared for it? If not, do you plan to take the exam at some point?
Yes I took the PTCB. I felt prepared enough to pass it.

4. What type of setting do you work in? (retail, hospital?) If you have worked in other types of settings, how does your current position compare to the other?

Currently working in a hospital setting but I have done retail before. I prefer hospital because you are exposed to a wider variety of drugs than in retail and you don't have to deal with insurance issues.

Yes because it is a stepping stone for what I ultimately want to do in life.

6. Do you see yourself continuing to work as a pharmacy tech long-term? Is there potential for advancement?
No. I am already accepted to pharmacy school so I will become a pharmacist in the near future (hopefully). There is always room for advancement.

Pharmacy is what you make of it. Being a pharm tech has many pros especially if your goal is to ultimately become a pharmacist. You get exposed to a wide variety of drugs and you get to learn the ins and outs of working in the pharmacy. Even though you are only a support staff member to the pharmacist, you will be working for a common goal, the patient.

Hello,
I'm currently working towards a Associates of Occupational Studies degree and am enrolled in the Pharmacy Technician program. I have an assignment that includes interviewing a tech and was hoping to receive some input from anyone who is or has worked as a tech in a pharmacy. If you have a few moments I would greatly appreciate any answers that you may have. These are the questions I came up with, but any input would be great.

Former tech here.

1. About 18 months.

2. On the job training.

3. N/A , did not take PTCB

4. Hospital. I havent worked other settings as a technician, although as an intern for a nuclear company, the work the techs did there was pretty similar stuff.

5. Definitely!! Working in a hospital pharmacy (or nuke for that matter) is very relaxing and quiet, allowed me to zone out while doing repetitive tasks, listen to music, etc. I liked the fact that i was doing actual important tasks instead of just filling out forms or answering phones. It's satisfying to see the results of each days work such as a fully stocked med cabinet or the queue of IV bags cleared out. Also, I was able to structure my workday based on my preferences, as long as the carts got stocked and the IVs were made by their appropriate times, it was up to me to decide how to fill the rest of my schedule as far as tasks went. Some days I would do inventory or cleaning, some days auditing. I enjoyed troubleshooting pharmacy related problems a lot. As a technician at a hospital you are often the go-to person to communicate between nursing and medical staff and the pharmacy (if you are on the floors). I enjoyed being able to help hospital staff improve their experience with the pharmacy.

6. If I was not going to pharmacy school, pharmacy technician would be a job that would definitely make my list for potential careers. The relaxed nature and task based nature of the job appealed to me. I liked being able to come in every day and do the same thing and know that each day I could improve and apply mastery. If you are a skilled technician and people person and can apply basic business skills and organizational skills, doors will probably be open for you. In the hospital environment there is some potential for advancement, but not much. That said, cush union jobs are not uncommon for hospital pharmacy techs, especially in big cities. One of my friends worked for an academic hospital, and after he got an additional certification in computer programming, was promoted from pharmacy technician to pharmacy informatics (running the computer system). Pay in hospital starts around $15/hr, but can go as high as low to mid 30s for experienced techs with union seniority.

7. Market yourself.. Read as much as you can about the field, but most importantly, practice -- you will get a lot of opportunity to build mastery and competency during your work. If you can become skilled and improve your pharmacy's bottom line in some way, you'll get the cred you need from your supervisors in order to advance or to take a better job. Do not be overwhelmed by the amount of material you need to learn. You'll go slow at first in order to not make mistakes, which is normal. Your speed will improve in time.

Also, hold out for a hospital job. Retail will probably not get you anywhere satisfying.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

1. How long have you worked as a pharmacy technician? so far 8 months

I studied on my own with Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Review for about 2 weeks (25 hrs per week)

I did take the PTCB exam and currently certified. I think I prepared for it extremely well with the book I mentioned in question #2.

I have only worked in retail. However, I have volunteered in hospital setting and the major difference is that with retail you get to interact with patients directly. It can be both a pro and con. In hospital setting, the nurses are your customers and I hear that nurses and pharm techs don't get along very well.

Absolutely, I think it's a great field to get into. However, you do stand a lot but that's nothing that a good pedicure couldn't fix and wear good comfy shoes. I like it because I'm fascinated by the science behind all the meds and how it works and provide medicinal effects to help patients with illnesses and diseases. I feel that I'm really helping in a way to help improve those patients lives. The downside is that you have to deal with corporate.

No, I do not see myself working as a pharmacy tech in the long run because there is not much room for advancement opportunities. My lead tech has been working there with the company for 13 years and she makes $14.25. That really shows and tells you how underpaid pharm techs are and techs works really hard for the amount of pay and they are the most stressed in retail setting. Depending on what your interest are and you like pharmacy, be a pharmacist instead. Greater reward and get to help patients directly by being their advocate in medication needs.

My advice is do what you are passionate about but it's best to properly engage yourself within that field so you know what you are getting into. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anyone says, if you feel that it's your calling then do it. But never be discourage by what anyone says, you ultimately have to find our for yourself to make the best informed decision on your career and what suits you.

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys! I considered pharmacy school, but decided that it would be more practical to go into the pharm tech program right now; I might re-visit the idea when my son is older. Is it hard to get into a pharmacy program?

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys! I considered pharmacy school, but decided that it would be more practical to go into the pharm tech program right now; I might re-visit the idea when my son is older. Is it hard to get into a pharmacy program?

Honestly, yes. It takes commitment and dedication, good grades, well-rounded resume with extracurricular activities within the field. But you can do anything, if you set your mind to it...

A little over 15 months.

I just skimmed through a review book before taking the PTCB exam. All my IV training I got through my job.

Yeah. I didn't learn the drugs as well as I probably should have, but I passed anyway!

I have worked in a hospital. I've worked in retail in a non-pharmacy setting, and it's nice for me personally not to have to deal with angry customers all the time. Plus I feel like I get to learn a lot by making IVs and seeing how the pharmacists work with things at a clinical level.

Yeah, it's the reason I decided I wanted to apply to pharmacy school.

I'm going to pharmacy school in the fall, but if that wasn't the case, I think I could see this as a permanent thing. There are good opportunities for advancement, and with so many aspects of pharmacy, you can continue to learn by trying out a different area.

Make sure you join organizations and get involved in the field. Annual seminars and CE shindigs aren't just for pharmacists. You can have the technician input you want and your role can continue to expand. In Texas, we just passed a law that allows technicians to check another tech's work in certain hospital settings. Also, if you are thinking about going to pharmacy school and need to take the prereqs, check and see if your job offers tuition reimbursement. It'll save you some money. :)

Make sure you join organizations and get involved in the field. Annual seminars and CE shindigs aren't just for pharmacists. You can have the technician input you want and your role can continue to expand. In Texas, we just passed a law that allows technicians to check another tech's work in certain hospital settings. Also, if you are thinking about going to pharmacy school and need to take the prereqs, check and see if your job offers tuition reimbursement. It'll save you some money. :)

This!!!!! Sometimes employers will pay for you to attend these conferences if you are fulltime. I know some technicians at my old company who went to regional nuclear conferences. Pharmacy practice involves many roles, and pharmacy practice shindigs will have useful and applicable information for techs too - my friend told me that he learned several tips and tricks from other techs at places like this.