Questions for Reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mstoothlady2012

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What changes did you make to your application? I am thinking about updating my personal statement but only a little bit. Also does it look bad if I use the same LORs again?

Also I am thinking of only applying to 10 schools this time around. Is that good enough or should I apply to more? You can look at my stats on predents.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did a sole app. to one school last year as a junior and didn't get in. This year applying to well over 10 schools and for AADSAS, I completely changed my PS, and added much more ECs.

oh for the LORs, schools will want to see brand new LORs, I checked with the school I applied last year and they said for sure that they want new ones.

I think you are good with 10 schools, maybe a few more wouldn't hurt.

You have nothing to worry about. :)

I completely rewrote my PS for this cycle. Having a year to think and research really helped me organize my thoughts better.

I also upated my ECs, volunteer work, and shadowing hours, etc.

I sent an updated LOR resume to my profs this year when asking for LORs.

I retake the DAT on August 14 and should do well.

If you think you are crazy for only applying to 10 schools, then I am insane, because I am only applying to 5. :laugh:

I don't fully understand the shotgun approach to applying to schools. I am applying to schools from across the spectrum that I know will work well for me; applying to any more seems like a waste of time and money. JMO.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I rewrote my PS, but only to the extent where I added stuff that I did over the year. My reasons to attend the D-school are still the same, so I have kept some stuff from last year's PS. I am doing more shadowing and applying to 10 schools as opposed to 5 last year. I am using 2 of the same LORs and 2 new ones. I graduated and work in a lab, so my lab director wrote me one and my dentist has offered to write me one. I retook the DAT and did much better. I hope to volunteer, but haven't been getting any luck with that...and its a little hard to fit it all in my schedule with a fulltime job.
Hopefully this will be enough...good luck!

To the OP. I got my master's degree, re-wrote my entire personal statement, got brand new letters of recommendation, and worked as a dental assistant.

My overall GPA's are still suspect even though my graduate GPA is respectable.

Regards,
Carlos "Big Z" Zambrano aka GoBlueJays

MsToothLady - I haven't been on here in a while so didn't get a chance to before - but CONGRATS on stellar 2nd round scores!!! Awesome, you must have been psyched!!!

As for my re-applicant app - I used the same LOR because it was a committee letter, and I haven't even been to the school in the last year, so they didn't have anything else to add! I am adding a new LOR from a dentist though. I updated my extracurricular section and added a paragraph in my PS about why I was reapplying (like it wasn't obvious... haha.) I also shadowed another dentist who had a very different practice than the dentist I usually shadow. I hope these changes were enough... I feel like last round they saw my scores and threw out my app and probably never read anything else, so I doubt many schools read my personal statement last year... who knows though!

MsToothLady - I haven't been on here in a while so didn't get a chance to before - but CONGRATS on stellar 2nd round scores!!! Awesome, you must have been psyched!!!

As for my re-applicant app - I used the same LOR because it was a committee letter, and I haven't even been to the school in the last year, so they didn't have anything else to add! I am adding a new LOR from a dentist though. I updated my extracurricular section and added a paragraph in my PS about why I was reapplying (like it wasn't obvious... haha.) I also shadowed another dentist who had a very different practice than the dentist I usually shadow. I hope these changes were enough... I feel like last round they saw my scores and threw out my app and probably never read anything else, so I doubt many schools read my personal statement last year... who knows though!
Thanks! Yea I am psyched....yea I felt that way too. They prolly saw my scores & trashed my application :( I don't blame them though..my scores were horrible.

I don't understand why I need to change my PS b/c I am applying to dental schools for the same reason that I had last year and I still possess those same skills & interest. Yea I was thinking about adding 1 paragraph abt wht I did in this 1 yr & how it has made me a better applicant (more science classes to boost up my GPA, more shadowing, most prolly i am getting job in dental clinic as well yay!!)

LOR..uhh I could get new LORs from other science professors, but what ths point of this? They are gonna say same thing about me like the othe profs did I am pretty sure. Plus it will delay my application coz I am gonna have to give them atleast 2 weeks to write the letter. Did you call all the schools to ask if the old stuff is okay? I am thinking of doing that....

I reapplied for the 2008 cycle,

1st time around (2007)... late applicant, 3 interviews 3 wait lists

2nd (2008)... took some classes, used Same LORs/committee letter, new personal statement...

12 interview invites (went to 10)
8 Acceptances on dec 1. 1 after dec 1.
1 waitlist.

I dont think its completely necessary to have new LORs, unless you have taken more classes and those professors think you are the top of the top. If your LORs from before have not had you again in their class, how has their opinion changed of you in any way?

I was told by 2 pre health advisers that it was not necessary to have a completely different LOR but maybe an updated one.