Questions for Students @ UCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applepark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking from eg77's TCD Questions from another thread. Current UCD students please help a girl out and answer the following questions. THANKS!!

1. How is the staff at UCD med school? Are the Professors generally aproachable and friendly? It would be great to hear some objective views from current students about the learning environment there.

2. At what point in our education do we get practical hospital experience? I know that at Canadian schools, students get hands on practical experience from the first year...is this also the case at UCD?

3. Is there any integration of "Problem Based Learning" in the teaching at trinity? If so, how much of a role does it play in the education?

Members don't see this ad.

1. How is the staff at UCD med school? Are the Professors generally aproachable and friendly? It would be great to hear some objective views from current students about the learning environment there.

The staff & profs are as friendly as any other faculty. Some are more approachable than others, but for the most part I have no complaints about their general attitude.

2. At what point in our education do we get practical hospital experience? I know that at Canadian schools, students get hands on practical experience from the first year...is this also the case at UCD?

Well first you need to define "practical hospital experience". We have hospital visits every 2 weeks where we'll usually have a short lecture on a given topic followed by an interview with patients who are currently suffering from whatever ailment we're learning about. We also had to do house visits to patients in the community as part of our clinical sciences course. During the visits we needed to take histories, etc. Then present our patient's history to the class at a later date.

3. Is there any integration of "Problem Based Learning" in the teaching at trinity? If so, how much of a role does it play in the education?

PBL is starting to be used, however it's not a major part of teaching...yet. We've had tutorials & seminars going over clinical cases related to whatever system we're studying. Besides that I can't really think of much. It's still based mainly out of lecture....which is fine by me.

Hope that helped, if you have any other questions, post them or pm me.

Cheers,
Andrew