questions for SUNY students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vision34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering how many of you lived in Manhattan as opposed to Queens your first year. I know I'm going to have to take out a lot of loans, but I REALLY want to live in Manhattan. For those of you who did it, did you have a lot of money saved up before going to school, or did you mainly pay for everything with loans?

Also, is there any type of dress code? Do we observe clinical a lot and therefore need a lot of dress clothes?

Thank you so much for your input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I was wondering how many of you lived in Manhattan as opposed to Queens your first year. I know I'm going to have to take out a lot of loans, but I REALLY want to live in Manhattan. For those of you who did it, did you have a lot of money saved up before going to school, or did you mainly pay for everything with loans?

Also, is there any type of dress code? Do we observe clinical a lot and therefore need a lot of dress clothes?

Thank you so much for your input! :)

It's definitely possible to live in Manhattan with your loans, depending on where you live and how many people you cram into an apartment. Work out some budgets and see if you think you can do it. If you have money saved up then that will help too of course.

In terms of dress code... In first year you'll be required to dress for optometry lab (methods/procedures lab), for clinic observations and when you go out to do screenings (3rd quarter). So probably twice a week for the most part. Those are really the only times you'll have to dress in clinic clothes, but I'd advise you start building up a clinic clothes wardrobe from 1st year, you're gonna need it!