Questions for UCBSO Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushingreentea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm highly interested in Berkeley's optometry program, but what are they looking for in a candidate? I currently attend UCI (which isn't very competitive) doubling majoring in bio and business econ (possibly minoring too). My GPA isn't near the average prereq GPA listed on the website. I know I still have 1 year to bring up my GPA. Other GPA and high OAT scores, what else are they looking for? I've been working at an optometrist's office for almost a year now. I started a vision screening club on campus. Any tips on how to improve my profile?

If you went to UCI, it would be really helpful if you could provide your stats and a profile of yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi sushingreentea,

I'm a 3rd year student at UCBSO and have helped with the interview process. Besides a good pre-req GPA and OAT scores, the admissions committee is looking for a well-rounded student. Your vision screening club should score you high points and shows your commitment to optometry. During the interview, we look for how articulate you answer questions as well as how well you interact socially. We know the interviewees are nervous, but if you can make the interview seem more like a conversation, that will really impress the interviewer. We're gauging how your people skills are when you become a clinician. If possible, try your best to boost your GPA so that you are at or above the median. Each class that comes in seems to be smarter than the year before, so competition seems to be getting stiffer.

If you can, come visit Berkeley on one of our Friday visitation days. http://optometry.berkeley.edu/opt_txtpp/admissions/admittours.html
The admissions committee will remember you if you come visit before applying, and it shows you're very interested in UCBSO.

Hope this helps. Good luck with undergrad and in your application process.

Take care,
Jenny
UCBSO Class of 2009

I'm highly interested in Berkeley's optometry program, but what are they looking for in a candidate? I currently attend UCI (which isn't very competitive) doubling majoring in bio and business econ (possibly minoring too). My GPA isn't near the average prereq GPA listed on the website. I know I still have 1 year to bring up my GPA. Other GPA and high OAT scores, what else are they looking for? I've been working at an optometrist's office for almost a year now. I started a vision screening club on campus. Any tips on how to improve my profile?

If you went to UCI, it would be really helpful if you could provide your stats and a profile of yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
What are you saying if you think UCI isn't very competitive and your GPA isn't near the average prereq listed on the website?

Maybe I'm a little defensive since I graduated from UCI. I would give you my stats except I graduated so long ago that even if I did remember them, I doubt they would be a meaningful comparison to today's applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Sushingreentea:

Can you post your GPA so we can get a better idea where you stand? Like Dr. Chudner, I graduated from UCI (class of 2003) and I'm confused why you think it is not a competitive school but you state your GPA isn't near the average prerequisite GPA listed on UCBSO's website. I will look around for my stats and post when you reply.

Regards,

Rosanna

Many of the optometry school representatives that have visited UCI have said that they do factor in the level of competition of the undergraduate university and did not hesitate to say that they considered UCI a more competitive school.

UCI is ranked 44th out of schools nationwide and 12th in best public colleges nationwide. While the accuracy and validity of these US News & World Report rankings are questionable to some, it certainly hints at the relative level of competition Anteaters incur.