Questions for UNMC students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coharahawk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be moving to Omaha and starting at UNMC in the fall and I was looking for some advice from students there.

First of all, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good places to live. I will be living by myself, and I was wondering how important it is to be near campus or living closer to downtown or possibly in Council Bluffs. Also, what is the parking situation like at UNMC? Any experiences that you've had would be appreciated.

Also, how would you describe the atmosphere amongst the students there? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

As for living close to campus, it is not that important. I think you can get nicer, cheaper apartments in west omaha than you can around campus. But, that is a personal opinion. I personally think it is nicer in west omaha and safer if you will be living by yourself. I live about 10 miles from school and it takes me probably 20 minutes or just a little more to get to school in the morning in rush hour traffic. The parking situation at UNMC is fine. There is one main student lot that is a very short walk from the College of Medicine. There is room for all the students, it isn't a big deal.

Now about the students, I think you would get different opinions based on who you talk to, but here is my opinion. The classes are really quick to form cliques. So, get in with a few people early on and make them your study buddies. The students are not exclusive or mean to each other, just cliques form quick. And, since the grading system is based on Z-score, you want to be able to trust your study buddies. There have been some horror stories about people getting competitive and intentionally screwing others over. My class has been pretty good and I have not had any complaints. But, the grading system just makes for a competitive attitude amongst people. Don't be looking for the class to rally around each other to pull every one through.

trudub said:
As for living close to campus, it is not that important. I think you can get nicer, cheaper apartments in west omaha than you can around campus. But, that is a personal opinion. I personally think it is nicer in west omaha and safer if you will be living by yourself. I live about 10 miles from school and it takes me probably 20 minutes or just a little more to get to school in the morning in rush hour traffic. The parking situation at UNMC is fine. There is one main student lot that is a very short walk from the College of Medicine. There is room for all the students, it isn't a big deal.

Now about the students, I think you would get different opinions based on who you talk to, but here is my opinion. The classes are really quick to form cliques. So, get in with a few people early on and make them your study buddies. The students are not exclusive or mean to each other, just cliques form quick. And, since the grading system is based on Z-score, you want to be able to trust your study buddies. There have been some horror stories about people getting competitive and intentionally screwing others over. My class has been pretty good and I have not had any complaints. But, the grading system just makes for a competitive attitude amongst people. Don't be looking for the class to rally around each other to pull every one through.

Great, thanks for the info, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kindly disagree with trudub. I really like the area around UNMC and would live there over West Omaha. It's all based on personal preference, of course, but I think that the area around there has much more character than the cookie-cutter apartments in the West. I think that the area is pretty safe, for males or females alike.

Check out Creighton's Omaha housing guide. www.creightonmedical.org/housing.

Be sure to check out the "housing survey," which gives different student opinions of where they live around Omaha.

I also disagree with trudub (sorry dude :)). I am a female living by myself in the UNMC neighborhood. I wouldn't live anywhere else. I have actually lived in this neighborhood my entire life and hope to eventually live here whenever I get a job in the future.

This area definitely has the more character than many of the neighborhoods combined ---esp. west o. I don't know if I'd consider Council Bluffs just b/c I don't have any experiences that way. I don't know if you've heard of the Dundee neighborhood, but if you need an EXCELLENT landlord w/ great rent options--send me a PM.

In general, I like the option of coming home for lunch and making it back to class in an hour. I just had this conversation with a classmate today about how awesome it is to leave my house at 7:50, park my car, walk to class, and be in my seat by 8am. She was complaining b/c she has to leave much earlier b/c she doesn't live close. Also, when you are in anatomy and need to return to the lab in the evenings and/or weekends, it helps to live close. Same for going to the library.

hope that helps!
allison

Yes thank for all for the help. I agree that living near campus is very convenient. Are the apartments typically pretty nice in the area around UNMC?

Also, does anyone have personal experience or know anybody that has lived in the Old Market area? I would like to hear what the consensus about living down there is.

I think the Old Market lofts are very nice if you can afford them. I lived there during undergrad. They are a little bit expensive but very nice. I agree with the previous posts that it would be much more convenient to be near campus but it is also nice to AWAY from campus for a while. Like I said, I think it is personal preference. I have nothing against the neighborhoods around UNMC I just prefer living out west. The only reason I say anything about safety is that I just had two friends who live near UNMC both get their houses broken into. It is probably the exception to the rule though. I would just say check it out for yourself.

trudub said:
I think the Old Market lofts are very nice if you can afford them. I lived there during undergrad. They are a little bit expensive but very nice. I agree with the previous posts that it would be much more convenient to be near campus but it is also nice to AWAY from campus for a while. Like I said, I think it is personal preference. I have nothing against the neighborhoods around UNMC I just prefer living out west. The only reason I say anything about safety is that I just had two friends who live near UNMC both get their houses broken into. It is probably the exception to the rule though. I would just say check it out for yourself.

Yeah, I would definitely love to live at the Old Market Lofts, but I looked at the prices and they seem too extreme since I'm going to be living by myself and on a modest budget. There are several other places that I have heard of down there, such as Orpheum Tower, Kensington Tower, Securities Bldg., Farnam St. Apts., and others that are more affordable, but I don't know what the experience is like living there.

I had friends that lived in the Orpheum Tower. They are pretty nice and had a good experience living down in the Old Market. As for the rest of them, I have no idea.

I have some questions for you UNMC students. What areas is UNMC strong and weak in as far as preparing you for boards? Does UNMC have a good matching reputation? What about ortho matching?

Thanks so much

coharahawk said:
Yeah, I would definitely love to live at the Old Market Lofts, but I looked at the prices and they seem too extreme since I'm going to be living by myself and on a modest budget. There are several other places that I have heard of down there, such as Orpheum Tower, Kensington Tower, Securities Bldg., Farnam St. Apts., and others that are more affordable, but I don't know what the experience is like living there.

Orpheum Tower is not bad. Farnam St. Apts are pretty nice. I wouldn't recommend Kensington Tower. It's not really the safest place. The Greenhouse (I think that's what it is called) is really nice. It has a private w/d, which is pretty rare in the downtown area. Something you have to consider in that area is that parking spaces usually cost extra. You don't have to rent one, but if you don't, you might not be able to find one if you come home late on a Friday or Saturday night. I'm not positive how much they cost, but that's been a complaint of many of my friends that live downtown.

chicadehuskers said:
Orpheum Tower is not bad. Farnam St. Apts are pretty nice. I wouldn't recommend Kensington Tower. It's not really the safest place. The Greenhouse (I think that's what it is called) is really nice. It has a private w/d, which is pretty rare in the downtown area. Something you have to consider in that area is that parking spaces usually cost extra. You don't have to rent one, but if you don't, you might not be able to find one if you come home late on a Friday or Saturday night. I'm not positive how much they cost, but that's been a complaint of many of my friends that live downtown.

I also have a question for this thread. How much studying do you typically do per night? Are all the test on saturdays? Are there tests on other days? What does the schedule for the first semester look like? How many classes do we take? None of this info is on the UNMC webpage (that's accessible to non-students). So if you could fill me in, i'd love it. And maybe I'd love you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, first year all the tests are on Saturdays with the exception of the tests for ICE (Integrated Clinical Experience). The first semester of first year you take Structure of the Human Body for the first ten weeks which includes Anatomy and Embryology. The last six weeks of the semester you take Cell Processes which is a little immunology, biochemistry, cell biology, histology, and genetics all rolled into one core. ICE runs throughout the whole first year. Hope that helps.

trudub said:
Yes, first year all the tests are on Saturdays with the exception of the tests for ICE (Integrated Clinical Experience). The first semester of first year you take Structure of the Human Body for the first ten weeks which includes Anatomy and Embryology. The last six weeks of the semester you take Cell Processes which is a little immunology, biochemistry, cell biology, histology, and genetics all rolled into one core. ICE runs throughout the whole first year. Hope that helps.

Yeah that helps a lot, so no biochem until second semester?
How long are classes during the day? 8-4? 8-noon?

No, biochem is first semester. It is part of the cell processes core that I described. Classes are generally from 8-12 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, you often have ICE which lasts from 1-4 so most Tuesday and Thursdays you have class from 8-4. Second semester you have Function of the Human Body for the first ten weeks which is basically physiology and histology. The last six weeks you have the Neurosciences core which is Nueroanatomy and neurophysiology. ICE continues on in the second semester. Then after all of the cores are done there is a comprehensive examination at the end.

This was sent to me as a joke but is remarkably accurate. Based on which Barbie you like the most, you can choose what part of town you want to live in! :smuggrin:

West Omaha Barbie

This princess Barbie is only sold at Village Point. She comes with
an assortment of Kate Spade handbags, a Lexus SUV, a long-haired foreign
dog named Honey and a cookie cutter house. Available with or without tummy
tuck and face-lift. Workaholic Ken sold only in conjunction with
"augmented" version.

Millard Barbie Southwest Omaha

This modern day homemaker Barbie is available with Ford Windstar
minivan and matching gym outfit. She gets lost easily and has no full-time
occupation or secondary education. Traffic jamming cell phone sold
separately.

Bennington Barbie I don't even know. lol

This yuppie Barbie comes with your choice of BMW convertible or
Hummer H2. Included are her own Starbucks cup, credit card and country
club membership. Also available for this set are Shallow Ken and Private
School Skipper. You won't be able to afford any of them.

Council Bluffs Barbie Other side of the river

This pale model comes dressed in her own Wrangler jeans two sizes
too small, a NASCAR shirt and Tweety Bird tattoo on her shoulder. She has
a six pack of Coors Light and a Hank Williams , Jr. CD set. She can spit
over 5 feet and kick mullet-haired Ken's butt when he's drunk. Purchase
her pickup truck separately and get a confederate flag bumper sticker
absolutely free.

Regency Barbie 90th and Dodge

This collagen injected, rhino-plastic Barbie wears undergarments
from Borsheims and drinks cosmopolitans while entertaining friends at
Gorat's. Percocet prescription available.

Benson Barbie North of Midtown

This tobacco chewing, brassy haired Barbie has a pair of her own
high-heeled sandals with one broken heel from the time she chased
beer-gutted Ken out of Council Bluffs Barbie's house. Her ensemble
includes low-rise acid washed jeans, fake fingernails, and a see through
halter-top. Also available with a mobile home.

Dundee Barbie *Midtown area

This doll is made of actual tofu. She has long straight brown
hair, archless feet, hairy armpits, no makeup and Birkenstocks with white
socks. She prefers that you call her "Willow." She does not want or need a
Ken doll, but if you purchase two Dundee Barbies and the optional Subaru
wagon, you get a rainbow flag sticker for free.

South O Barbie

This Barbie now comes with a stroller and infant doll. Optional
accessories include a GED and bus pass. Graffiti Artist Juan and his '88
Low Rider Honda Civic were available, but are now very difficult to find
since the addition of the infant.

Elkhorn Barbie North West (very west) Omaha

She's perfect in every way. We don't know who Ken is 'cause he's
always hunting.

So what you're trying to say is, that since I'm from CB that I will fit in best in the Benson area? :laugh: Ok, sweet I'll keep that in mind. That CB barbie sounds pretty hot though!

I thought it was hilarious. You'll fit in anywhere of course. My favorites are the Dundee Barbie and the Elkhorn Barbie. :laugh:

Actually you might want to consider staying in CB. It's not that far from UNMC and Iowa is a little bit lower cost of living. I'm thinking of moving TO CB next year, some of the apartments right across the river are not half bad.

trudub said:

How bad is it having exams on Saturdays?

Not bad at all. The only bad thing is that I'm usually wiped out by the time I get home, so I have to take a nap before I'm even remotely functional. Usually the test starts at 8, and normally you'll be done by 11. Really, the only other thing I might be doing at that time is sleeping, so it's not like I'm missing anything major.

alliemac said:
Not bad at all. The only bad thing is that I'm usually wiped out by the time I get home, so I have to take a nap before I'm even remotely functional. Usually the test starts at 8, and normally you'll be done by 11. Really, the only other thing I might be doing at that time is sleeping, so it's not like I'm missing anything major.

How's the student body comraderie? Do people tend to go out together after the saturday tests to blow off steam, or not so much?

I think that my class is slightly clique-y, but I think that's because we have large parts of my class from certain schools where people already knew each other. However, everyone gets along. The group of people that I hang out with are from everywhere.

After Anatomy tests, people head to a bar called Barrett's for good greasy food and cheap beer. Pauli's is another fave b/c the owners there give us a discount after our tests. During Biochem, we really didn't do much after test, but the occasional classmate would have a party every now and then. Same with Physiology and Neuro. Saturday, after my last neuro test, we're all going to a classmate's cabin for the afternoon/evening/night. Good times.

alliemac said:
I think that my class is slightly clique-y, but I think that's because we have large parts of my class from certain schools where people already knew each other. However, everyone gets along. The group of people that I hang out with are from everywhere.

After Anatomy tests, people head to a bar called Barrett's for good greasy food and cheap beer. Pauli's is another fave b/c the owners there give us a discount after our tests. During Biochem, we really didn't do much after test, but the occasional classmate would have a party every now and then. Same with Physiology and Neuro. Saturday, after my last neuro test, we're all going to a classmate's cabin for the afternoon/evening/night. Good times.

Out of curiosity, from what schools are the majority of attendees?

The most students are from University of Nebraska-Lincoln. There are also a lot of students from UN-Omaha and from Creighton. Those three schools represent a significant portion of the class.

On my interview day back in November, Dr. Hill told me I was the third or fourth person in a row that he had interviewed from U of Iowa, so hopefully there will be some other Hawkeyes at UNMC as well.

I don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I have a question about wireless internet access on campus at UNMC. Does it exist? If yes, everywhere, or just in certain buildings, rooms, etc? I got a big fat tax return and I've been wanting to spend it on a notebook computer, but if I won't be able to be on the internet without using the campus computers anyway, it might not be worth it at the moment.

chicadehuskers said:
I don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I have a question about wireless internet access on campus at UNMC. Does it exist? If yes, everywhere, or just in certain buildings, rooms, etc? I got a big fat tax return and I've been wanting to spend it on a notebook computer, but if I won't be able to be on the internet without using the campus computers anyway, it might not be worth it at the moment.

For first year's it kinda stinks. The ampitheater where all your lectures are at in Wittson hall DOESN'T have wireless. The only place in Wittson Hall are on the 6th, 7th, and 8th floors (The Library). For ICE and second year lectures you will be over at the DRC, which does have wireless in the ampitheater. Personally, I have a laptop and have brough it to school once (because I was too lazy to save the files that I needed onto my flash drive).

To answer the questions from above.

I lived out in W. Omaha my first year. A five mile commute meant leaving around 7:30 to make it to the 8:00am classes. I like being far away from school, but it has it's drawbacks, the main being I can't go home to cook a quick meal or grab a bite to eat when I want. Basically, when I leave for school in the morning it's take everything with me that I might need because there's no way to make it back and forth in a short amount of time. That being said, I'll be moving closer to UNMC and somewhere in the UNMC neighborhood (more than likely Dundee). Old Market and downtown living I hear are great, if you can afford it. (Alliemac--who's this great landlord? You need to hook me up).

Cliqueiness (if that's even a word)...it's pretty bad, but then again, I think it's normal for 120 of us to have our cliques. Like the above posters have said, most are due to people knowing each other before entering. However, it's not difficult to interact with most everyone. Due to the z-score it creates a more competative environment than other med schools, but as far as screwing someone over, I have yet to hear, see, or experience it. After tests, there's usually a shindig at someone's place (or the frat).

Saturday Exams: Either you a) Hate them or B) Get use to them. During Anatomy Core, the Friday before the tests were review days, no new lecture material--so that was nice. As for the other three cores, it depends. For me, Saturday tests are fine, what else are you going to do on a Saturday morn? Saturday afternoon meant a nap, and Saturday night meant going out. There are two Friday tests-right before winter break, and right before Spring Break.

Studying: Depends on the individual. Some people live at the library, others study a couple hours a day.