Questions from a medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WashMe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a I medical student at WashU and I am interested in radiation oncology, but I don't know if I am on the right path to reach that goal. Any advice is much appreciated.

I'll be doing radiology research this summer and I have a decent research background (4+ pubs, 1 first author), but I don't have any RadOnc specific research experience. Also, I don't have a physics background but I love physics and I'm sure I could learn it well.

I thought about entering the MD/PhD at my school to become more qualified for RadOnc and get some good research under my belt, but I would not get back any of the money I had to borrow for years 1+2 ($60k+) so it isn't really a good move financially.

Aside from doing well on Step I down the road and doing good research this summer, does anyone have any ideas about how I can become a good applicant? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of taking a year off b/w 2nd and 3rd year to do a 1-year master's degree (the school would pay tuition + $20k stipend). Would RadOnc residency programs see value in this, or is it unnecessary? It wouldn't be a bad financial move, but I don't really want to defer medical school graduation.

Thanks for the advice :) It's too late to change my summer research project/mentor because I applied for the project and the funding back in January and I'm locked in. It is a competitive research spot at Mallinckrodt so I'm hoping it will still look good, and I've missed the other funding deadlines anyway.

I'll certainly give more thought to a 1-year master's program in RadOnc-related research, if for no other reason than to meet some people and get my name out there. I keep hearing that RadOnc is a small world...

Why not just switch your summer project to a rad onc related project? You could still do it in radiology and perhaps focus on some aspect of imaging as it relates to rad onc (treatment planning, treatment response, etc).
If you were considering something as involved as swithing to the MD/PhD track simply to be more competitive for rad onc, switching your summer research to something more rad onc related is certainly reasonable (also easier, less time consuming, etc). If the summer project pans out well, you'll be on your way to having a rad onc publication, have met people in Wash U's rad onc dept, and demonstrated interest and committment to the field--all very high yield in terms of getting into residency.
Doing a 1 year masters is also reasonable and, assuming it's quality research with a good mentor, a good way to strengthen your application.
For other general advice, see the FAQ.

:ninja:

Members don't see this ad :)
Schedule a meeting with the Department Chairman, Dr. Hallahan to talk about getting involved with a Rad Onc research project.

There are a couple of ways you might be able to get some good radonc research under your belt without having to do any "extra" time. Wade Thorstad (H+N radonc) has a great database and is always looking for medical students to mine the data. Easy ASTRO abstract there. Parag Parikh (GI radonc) has always helped students with research as well.

If you're inclined to do a more basic-science oncologic project and want to take some time off, I would recommend Paul Goodfellow's lab. While you'll have to make a time committment, he runs a very good, productive lab and you wouldn't be disappointed.

Good Luck!

ps Graduated from WashU radonc residency last year.

Thanks for the school-specific advice and giving me some names of people I should contact. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to get involved in RadOnc, but I have an idea.