Questions from a non-anesthesiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilo426

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for advice. I'm an MS4 applying for a radiology residency married to an anesthesia resident. Since radiology is on the competitive side, I'm not sure I can match locally where we live now (NYC), and if I match elsewhere, we'd like to come back to NYC eventually.

If we were to leave NYC for five years, how difficult is it to:
1) Find a good anesthesiology position in the NYC area after being away for five years?
2) Find a good anesthesiology position for a short-term period (3-5 years) in a place like Philadelphia/southern NJ? What's the job market like in NYC vs. Philly?
3) Get a fellowship in Philadelphia, coming from a NYC program? On the FREIDA website, it looks like Penn and Jefferson have most of the fellowships down there.
4) Work locum for a few years in a different city and then come back to NYC? How does malpractice insurance work in that case?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate any insight we can get! We're trying to do the best we can without couples match.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS4 in NYC and here as an answer to a few of your questions

1) The NYC (and surrounding area) is pretty tight (at least right now) but if your SO trained here that should give her (I am assuming its a her) the contacts to find a decent practice when she comes back

2) Leaving NY into other areas ie Philli will probably mean going to a better job market, so she should be able to find a job there. The major downside is that the time she spends working there won't be towards a partnership. If you stay in NYC even if there is a longer partnership track those 4 yrs will count

3) Getting the fellowship probably depends as much on what NYC program she is at and her in service scores anything else. Columbia, Cornell, Sinai and NYU all tend to get good fellowships but again it is obviously person dependant

4) She can do the locums thing but there are many disadvantages. There have been tons of posts on the issue so feel free to do a search for them

Hope this helps and good luck with the match

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for advice. I'm an MS4 applying for a radiology residency married to an anesthesia resident. Since radiology is on the competitive side, I'm not sure I can match locally where we live now (NYC), and if I match elsewhere, we'd like to come back to NYC eventually.

1) Find a good anesthesiology position in the NYC area after being away for five years?
2) Find a good anesthesiology position for a short-term period (3-5 years) in a place like Philadelphia/southern NJ? What's the job market like in NYC vs. Philly?
3) Get a fellowship in Philadelphia, coming from a NYC program? On the FREIDA website, it looks like Penn and Jefferson have most of the fellowships down there.
4) Work locum for a few years in a different city and then come back to NYC? How does malpractice insurance work in that case?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate any insight we can get! We're trying to do the best we can without couples match.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hi everyone,