Questions from a podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmoon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I would like to comment on the obvious lack of general negativity in your forum. It is pretty incredible when you look at a podiatry forum. There's also some major and minor griping on the osteopathic forums.

I am well aware of the differences in entrance requirements for MD/DO and DPM. I'll also offer that these days, the entrance requirements for DPM schools is pretty much nil. The future of podiatry isn't much brighter, hence my quest to start over again and become what I actually set out to be.

My questions are these: Being a 40-year-old podiatrist, out in practice for only 3 years, podiatry GPA of 3.55 and UCLA undergrad GPA of about 3.2, does anyone think I'd be wasting my time applying to allopathic schools? Do they care much about my professional GPA? I'm also hearing rumors that allopathic schools don't pay much attention to your real life experiences and focus instead on your numbers (and, possibly, discriminate based on age). The other important caveat is that I'm pretty much stuck in Southern California (home, practice, etc.). I know that many of the med schools in SoCal are highly competitive.

Hope you guys aren't tired of hearing these types of questions. I'd appreciate some honest feedback.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the allopathic schools, but I'd look at Western University--College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. DO schools don't seem to care a lot about age. As I just wrote in the pre-osteopathic forum in response to a similar question, I volunteered at a PCOM healthcare center last summer, and there was an MS-IV who was 48-years-old who, if I may say so myself, was truly amazing.

Good luck.

I think that getting in to one of the U Cal schools would be tough. However, I think that your life stories would be very compelling at a Private school. Check into Loma Linda, or others near you (maybe even Stanford). I do not think you would be wasting your time at all. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
No you're not wasting your time. As far as allopathic schools'opinion on life experience, it really depends on the school. I think in So Cal UC Irvine might be the most accepting of non-traditional students.

Originally posted by drmoon:
•First, I would like to comment on the obvious lack of general negativity in your forum. It is pretty incredible when you look at a podiatry forum. There's also some major and minor griping on the osteopathic forums.

I am well aware of the differences in entrance requirements for MD/DO and DPM. I'll also offer that these days, the entrance requirements for DPM schools is pretty much nil. The future of podiatry isn't much brighter, hence my quest to start over again and become what I actually set out to be.

My questions are these: Being a 40-year-old podiatrist, out in practice for only 3 years, podiatry GPA of 3.55 and UCLA undergrad GPA of about 3.2, does anyone think I'd be wasting my time applying to allopathic schools? Do they care much about my professional GPA? I'm also hearing rumors that allopathic schools don't pay much attention to your real life experiences and focus instead on your numbers (and, possibly, discriminate based on age). The other important caveat is that I'm pretty much stuck in Southern California (home, practice, etc.). I know that many of the med schools in SoCal are highly competitive.

Hope you guys aren't tired of hearing these types of questions. I'd appreciate some honest feedback.

Thanks.•••

First off, I'm assuming you have taken all of the necessary requirements for med school. Secondly you will need to take the MCAT.

You are not out of the running for an allopathic tract, especially given your unusual background. There are any number of schools that actually favor this type of applicant. The problem is that you are limiting yourself to the most competitive region of the country. This might be a very tough hurdle to surmount. If your interests include primary care, DO schools in your area might very well be an excellent option.

If it has to be an allopathic program, than I would think real hard about the possibility of moving. I'm not saying you would have to, but you would need to entertain that possibility.

drmoon,
I go to a state school and you would be welcomed here, don't worry about age discrimination. The admission commitees will LOVE your experience and knowledge. I was also pleasantly surprised how well the 'older' people fit into the class. Us younger folks don't look at them any differently at all, we all hang together and it is cool. Here's just a few people in my class to show you that it can be done:
A mid-40's woman with children in college,

Several mid-30's men and women with children, some without,

3 PhD's, none medically related-2 in engineering one anthropologist. One engineer is 40, the other a 54 year old man.

A mother-daughter combo, with the daughter being in the class ahead of her mother.

Numerous of us career-change 20 somethings who had a 'real life' before med school.

A few nurses here and there.
My favorite thing is seeing that med school is such a great equalizer. It's strange to see people tons smarter than me struggle with the same things that I am. You would breeze through med school though, and be an asset to your class. I'd say go for it! Obviously some schools have more 'non-traditional' students than others do, so look around, ask a lot of questions, if you find a school that you think fits ask to speak with students who have gone back such as yourself. Good Luck!