Questions from an OT student considering medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightredfloyd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all

I'm a first year Occupational Therapy student considering medical school (I like DO personally, especially coming from OT) and I was looking for some input about the following issues:

1. Should I wait until after graduation to take the plunge or cut my losses and start now in order to save money and time?

2. I had a winding path to get to OT, let alone medical school (BA in psych -> gap year taking chemistry and anatomy/physiology at a community college). Should I try for a postbacc? Would the community college prerequisites work against me since they're chem and anatomy? Would any of my graduate school courses count/look good if I did well (I'm proud of my A in gross anatomy w/ cadaver lab lol; also hoping to get As in neuroanatomy & neurophysiology at the graduate level).

3. I have work/volunteer experience in the following roles: PT aide, OT volunteer (both outpatient), home health aide, social work intern in a hospital, intern at a community mental health center, and I have my mental health fieldwork rotation under my belt. I realize that I need hours shadowing a physician but would any of these experiences help me?

4. I have the following research experience: Research assistant in a psych lab in undergrad, "transcriber" for a study in grad school, currently working on designing a research project as part of my grad school coursework (of course I'd lose this if I decided to drop out). Is this relevant? Should I look for more/more relevant research experience as a nontraditional applicant?

5. One of the biggest reasons I'm considering switching professions is due to the uncertainty that exists in rehab right now (huge reimbursement changes and changes with more on the way). How is the current career climate for DOs?

6. What tips would you have for a nontraditional applicant?

I apologize for the voluminous nature of this post, but any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Cut your losses...

2. CC classes are not ideal but if you can get 504+ MCAT, you should be ok for some DO schools (assuming you c/sGPA are 3.3+)

3. These work/volunteer experiences will help. You will need some shadowing

4. DO is not big on research. You research is ok

5. Radiation oncology and pathology job market are not good. Other specialties will be ok post COVID-19

6. Do well on your prereqs and kill the MCAT if you GPA is < 3.3

Last edited:
Cut your losses...

CC classes are not ideal but if you can get 504+ MCAT, you should be ok for some DO schools (assuming you c/sGPA are 3.3+)

cGPA is 3.64, sGPA is probably around the same (haven't calculated it in a while). Would my grad school classes influence these or is it just undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA is 3.64, sGPA is probably around the same (haven't calculated it in a while). Would my grad school classes influence these or is it just undergrad?
Yes grad school will... You are good for DO with your GPAs... A 500+ MCAT will be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.