Questions on GMO Tours...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGoose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
A little background first - im considering taking a 2yr HPSP with the intent of immediately finishing FYGME and then completing a 2yr GMO tour to end my AD commitment. Then do residency as a civilian.

My question involves the differences between the army, navy, and AF GMO tours.

First off, ill take any insights about any GMO tours from army, navy, or AF.

In particular however, since i was considering a navy hpsp, i have a question about the deployments. Would one generally get deployed to a ship and be like a general practitioner on the ship or could you also get deployed with a marine group on land and be stationed in a field hospital in a combat zone with the marines?
If its a stupid question i apologize - im just trying to get myself uber informed before i make any decisions. Thanks:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Currently I am a Flight Surgeon in the Navy. The most recent Medical Corps newsletter had an item concerning conversion of GMO/FS billets to board certified providers. Currently there are approx 440 billets slated for post GME-1 folks. They just converted 100 with the plan of converting approximately 100 billets a year. It remains to be seen whether they have the bodies to accomplish that goal, but that is the current plan. Just beware that the GMO payback might become less and less an option in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just beware that the GMO payback might become less and less an option in the future.

I respectfully disagree.

I’m sure TheGoose will get a GMO position if he asks for it; even if 100% of the GMO billets are converted to FP billets. Remember, a GMO is a win-win for the military. They get a licensed physician without specialty pay to do 2-3 years of sick call/physicals. It’s all about saving money not quality of care. The GMO billets will be phased out in order to increase recruiting quotas but the option will always be there for those who want it.

Plus, how good is the elimination of the GMO tour without a simultaneous increase in GME positions/options. Trust me; a lot of people would rather do a GMO tour (and get out) if FP or Internal Medicine are the only GME options available. I would…