Questions on research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevenboi27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is having undergraduate research experience important for admissions to pod schools? I know that for MD, it is quite important but I am not too familiar with what types of extracurricular activities podiatry schools emphasize besides the basic shadowing and volunteering. I am looking to do additional activities and was wondering if research is something that I should consider.

Members don't see this ad.

Is having undergraduate research experience important for admissions to pod schools? I know that for MD, it is quite important but I am not too familiar with what types of extracurricular activities podiatry schools emphasize besides the basic shadowing and volunteering. I am looking to do additional activities and was wondering if research is something that I should consider.

I did organic chemistry research myself, and the short answer is: no.

Research won't help you get scholarships, and the only way I can see it acting "in your favor" is if you have a GPA below 3.0 AND an MCAT <22. Then research will make you a more desirable to ask for an interview. Otherwise, it's mostly a numbers game at pod schools. If you've got a >3.0, >22, and a pulse, you'll be good to go.

as far as scholarships go, the higher he gpa and the higher the mcat, the more likely you will be to get a scholarship and the more it will be worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you guys saying that extra curricular activities are not big of a factor for admissions and the only main extra curricular that one should really have is shadowing? For volunteering, does it have to be in a clinical setting like a hospital or can it be different such as volunteering to be a tutor or teaching assistant for a course? Thanks for the responses so far.

So are you guys saying that extra curricular activities are not big of a factor for admissions and the only main extra curricular that one should really have is shadowing? For volunteering, does it have to be in a clinical setting like a hospital or can it be different such as volunteering to be a tutor or teaching assistant for a course? Thanks for the responses so far.

Volunteering doesn't matter either, so do whatever you like!

It's really a numbers game.

podiatry requires a negative amount of neuroticism, its quite the opposite of md school applicants

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile