Questions on Update Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waiting4Drexel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently had a scientific paper published in March and found out that another paper was recently accepted and will be published in a few weeks. I decided that I should write an update letter to the 3 schools which I am waitlisted at.

I have two quick questions:
1. Which do you think is better, email or snail mail?
2. Is it normal to attach hard copies (if snail) or pdf files (if email) of my papers, or should I just cite them in my letter and not attach them?
3. Would anyone be willing to read my letter and let me know what they think?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should definitely send the update, as it shows that you still have an active interest in the institution(s). Call the admissions department and ask in what form they would prefer the update letter. When I sent my letter, admissions said to email it with any necessary attachments and they would print it and add it to my file. I would send/attach the entire publication(s), as it will demand more attention from the reader who could easily gloss over a citation. Good luck!

i would send it both snail and email. I would site the article in the email(attachment may be too big) and send a hard copy by snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I recently had a scientific paper published in March and found out that another paper was recently accepted and will be published in a few weeks. I decided that I should write an update letter to the 3 schools which I am waitlisted at.

I have two quick questions:
1. Which do you think is better, email or snail mail?
2. Is it normal to attach hard copies (if snail) or pdf files (if email) of my papers, or should I just cite them in my letter and not attach them?
3. Would anyone be willing to read my letter and let me know what they think?

Thanks!

You could compromise and just send abstracts. I can't imagine that they're going to have the time to read the whole paper anyway.

You could compromise and just send abstracts. I can't imagine that they're going to have the time to read the whole paper anyway.

I read an interview with admissions officers (perhaps in a TPR book) that agrees with AnEyeLikeMars. They don't want entire manuscripts and prefer abstracts.