1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Questions on Update Letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Waiting4Drexel, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Waiting4Drexel

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey all,

I recently had a scientific paper published in March and found out that another paper was recently accepted and will be published in a few weeks. I decided that I should write an update letter to the 3 schools which I am waitlisted at.

I have two quick questions:
    1. Which do you think is better, email or snail mail?
    2. Is it normal to attach hard copies (if snail) or pdf files (if email) of my papers, or should I just cite them in my letter and not attach them?
    3. Would anyone be willing to read my letter and let me know what they think?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cgjock80

cgjock80 Im in
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should definitely send the update, as it shows that you still have an active interest in the institution(s). Call the admissions department and ask in what form they would prefer the update letter. When I sent my letter, admissions said to email it with any necessary attachments and they would print it and add it to my file. I would send/attach the entire publication(s), as it will demand more attention from the reader who could easily gloss over a citation. Good luck!

4. davee

davee New Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i would send it both snail and email. I would site the article in the email(attachment may be too big) and send a hard copy by snail mail.

5. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You could compromise and just send abstracts. I can't imagine that they're going to have the time to read the whole paper anyway.

6. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I read an interview with admissions officers (perhaps in a TPR book) that agrees with AnEyeLikeMars. They don't want entire manuscripts and prefer abstracts.