questions re: research options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NFKB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising M2 with a longstanding interest in radonc. I was lucky enough to get involved with clinical research as an M1, and am 3rd author on an ASTRO abstract. Hopefully, that project will be developed into something more substantial at some point. Also, I have worked on a few review articles which will be submitted sometime soon (hopefully a 1st author on one and 2nd on another). This Summer, I have been doing radonc basic science research and am doing my best to finish the project and have something to show for it. Here is my dilemma (well, more of a pondering than a dilemma)...

Medical school is flying by and there are decisions which I will have to make soon concerning future opportunities. I am weighing the costs/benefits of continuing with basic science research or getting back to clinical. I have enjoyed both quite a bit, though I consider my basic science work to be of greater substance. The fact is that basic science work is much more time consuming and the competitiveness of the field forces me to consider whether it is better to continue with basic science at the cost of "productivity" (i.e. less projects, pubs, etc.) or return to clinical research, where it is easier to start and finish projects.

Thoughts or advice anyone? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are still very early in the game and therefore are at liberty to "invest" in more high-risk, high-reward projects. Since you enjoy basic research anyway, that's just icing on the cake. In the worst case scenario, if all your basic works is not publishable you will still have time to whip out a clinical project or two.

Good luck.