Questions re: written exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clintpark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Final stretch for the written exam prep.

Questions:
1) What practice exam materials are you guys using?
2) Anyone wanna share some of (1)?
3) How exactly do they determine whether someone passes/fails? I've heard that they are curved, but how do you then explain the extremely high passing rates in 2006? (I always knew that Brian Chang was a lucky bastard! j/k)

http://www.theabr.org/RO_Pri_Score.htm

Good luck, fellow PGY4s (... and PGY5s)!

Members don't see this ad.

Final stretch for the written exam prep.

Questions:
1) What practice exam materials are you guys using?
2) Anyone wanna share some of (1)?
3) How exactly do they determine whether someone passes/fails? I've heard that they are curved, but how do you then explain the extremely high passing rates in 2006? (I always knew that Brian Chang was a lucky bastard! j/k)

http://www.theabr.org/RO_Pri_Score.htm

Good luck, fellow PGY4s (... and PGY5s)!

They're not truly curved, per se. There is a threshold for passing determined a priori.

That said, the test makers do employ statisticians well-versed in standardized test metrics. Questions can be (and are) thrown out if, in the pooled analysis, they are shown to have a lack of discriminatory power between those who do well and those who do poorly. For example, if 85% of test takers miss #107, and it is missed equally between those who otherwise score very high and those who score poorly, that question is a poor discriminator of knowledge and is thrown out.

What you end up with is a percent correct determined prior to the exam but a denominator which may be lowered by bad questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that they are curved, but how do you then explain the extremely high passing rates in 2006?

i heard the residents from 2006 who took the board exam were exceptionally smart.

:laugh:

For example, if 85% of test takers miss #107, and it is missed equally between those who otherwise score very high and those who score poorly...

then, we should hire trained monkeys as radiation oncologists!

Don't be giving the medical oncologists and surgeons any ideas ...
S

in spite of what they think, they dont have much say in the matter.

well urologists certainly do, and they hire 'monkey' radiation oncologists to staff their machines.

well urologists certainly do, and they hire 'monkey' radiation oncologists to staff their machines.

It probably doesn't help your future job prospects to be a private practice "prostate" monkey for 5 years and then try to move back into the realm of general radiation oncology should you decide to change jobs.

the thing is most of those monkeys can retire after 5 years. they're not going into it for love of the calling.