Questions regarding applying to PM&R residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deistobmore05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a 4th student at PCOM interested in applying to allopathic programs in PM&R. I was researching programs and have the following concerns:

-Most programs have an advanced track (beginning as PGY2) along with an integrated 4-year track.
As an osteopathic student, I'm planning to do a traditional rotating osteopathic internship for PGY1 so i can get licensed in all states (esp in PA and MI). However, for programs with a 4-year track in other states, I'm choosing both tracks. Is this a good idea?

- Some programs require an ACGME-accredited transitional year. The internship programs i'm applying to (Crozer-Keystone, Cristiana, Mercy in PA) seem to be dually accredited.. are there programs that will turn you down if you match into an AOA program?

- Finally, are there some programs that will not allow you to apply for PGY2 spots as a 4th year med student?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

awaiting thorough response from Taus - I'll pm you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I am a 4th student at PCOM interested in applying to allopathic programs in PM&R. I was researching programs and have the following concerns:

-Most programs have an advanced track (beginning as PGY2) along with an integrated 4-year track.
As an osteopathic student, I'm planning to do a traditional rotating osteopathic internship for PGY1 so i can get licensed in all states (esp in PA and MI). However, for programs with a 4-year track in other states, I'm choosing both tracks. Is this a good idea?

- Some programs require an ACGME-accredited transitional year. The internship programs i'm applying to (Crozer-Keystone, Cristiana, Mercy in PA) seem to be dually accredited.. are there programs that will turn you down if you match into an AOA program?

- Finally, are there some programs that will not allow you to apply for PGY2 spots as a 4th year med student?

Thanks!

you can select both advanced and categorical - it does not really effect your application since you can decide to rank Advance only or both advanced and categorical programs

i doubt anyone is going to turn you down if you match into an AOA internship.

You can apply to all the programs. in fact, since PM&R you apply for pgy2 2 years out, it is the only way to get in.

once i matched my DO internship, i only ranked advanced programs.

edit: i've heard good things about crozer ;)

I just went through the process as a DO 2 years ago. I hope the following is helpful...

Hi there,

Some of this was covered in earlier replies, but basically:

-unless things have changed significantly since I applied 2 years ago, there are not that many programs that have an attached pgy-1 year (ie categorical pm&r program) as an option

-the few that I came accross that did offer BOTH tracks as options gave you the choice of ranking both types of positions. Upenn was the only program that had a disproportionate amt of their spots as categorical, but they weren't high on my list (a discussion for another time...)

-The DO match occurs about 1 month before the MD match. Because of that, if you apply and match into a DO internship, you will essentially lose the option of applying to the 4-year/categorical PM&R programs. The match does not let you overlap years, and once you match into a DO internship year, you will not be eligable to match into a 4 year PM&R program. This is really not a problem whatsoever, as just about all PM&R programs have both options as I wrote above.

-Regardless of whether it's a good idea or not to do the DO internship for simplification of licensing, to the best of my knowledge a program that wants to rank you has no real reason to say "lets only rank him high in the categorical track.... forget him for the advanced" If they want you, they want you and vice versa

-I have never heard of any programs that require an AGCME transitional or prelim year (ie not accepting an AOA year). I know DO's in just about all of the top 15-20 PM&R programs and have never heard of it being an issue. I am not as familiar with west coast programs.... hopefully someone can give you some more input on that.

-Even if a program would "prefer" that you do an AGCME intern year.... by the time you know where you are doing your AOA intern year it is too late for them to change their mind about your rank. There may be a few days between when you match into a DO internship and when MD rank lists are due from programs, but unless they call you personally to ask...they don't know. And if they did do that and then changed their mind about your rank... that's just absurd.

-I'm not sure about the accreditation of Mercy and Christiana, but Crozer (Delaware County Memorial) is not dually accredited. It is an AOA program, and though I may be biased, it is THE best one in the northeast. Christiana is definitely a solid program, but was just too far for me to commute to. Lankenau is great as well, though much more of a pure medicine year. On a side note... Lankenau, Christiana and Delco seem to be the only AOA prelims in this area that consistantly fill through the match year-to-year

- I HAVE heard that programs in other fields (specifically Neuro and Optho) may require AGCME intern years....but not in PM&R

Thanks!

I have never heard of any PM&R programs that don't let you apply as an MS4. I've heard that it can be like that for DO Derm programs and a few other random anecdotes, but not in the AGCME world.

Hope that helps and good luck with the match. There is certainly a solid precedent of PCOM grads matching into top PM&R programs.

Apologies, but i just logged back on today after weeks of inactivity with residency application stuff. These responses were very helpful as i just want to make all my decisions with some extra caution. Thanks so much!

Just remember that doing a DO internship affect licensing in 5 states. You have to do what's best for you. Besides, no program I looked at required ACGME. I had one program encouraged me to do an ACGME internship (theirs) but I got a bad vibe from them anyway. The program will rank you if they like you regardless. As an aside, I met my wife while doing my DO internship and it turned out she's from Pennsylvania where you need AOA approved. So making that a priority back then enables me to consider jobs in PA now. So, in hindsight it worked out well.

on a related note - you also have to consider that you will not be able to apply for fellowship in those 5 states because of licensing requirements.