Questions regarding Elective/Selectives

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Doctor4Life1769, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I received my schedule and I have core 1st.

OB, Gen. Surg, Psych, Peds, IM, IM - Fall of 3rd year

FP, Selectives, Selectives, Vacation, Electives, Electives - Spring of 3rd year

Elective, Elective, Elective, Rural Primary Care, Community Hospital, Community Hospital, Elective - Fall of 4th year

EM (Dec.), Selective, Selective, Selective, Vacation - Spring of 4th year

I'm particularly interested in Anesthesiology. We are only allowed to do IM/Surgical subspecialties for Selectives. We are also only allowed to do 1 elective/year in a certain field (i.e. 1 3rd year elective and 1 4th year elective in Anesthesiology).

So, for my selectives in 3rd year, I've opted to do Critical Care and Pain Management. For my 4th year selectives, I can't decide between (must pick 3) Allergy/Immunology, Endocrinology, Rheumatology, Cardiology, Pulmonology, ID. I really like the 1st 3 since they relate to myself or my family; whereas, Cardio/Pulm is probably more lucrative. ID is interesting.

Also, should I bother doing a 3rd year elective in Anesthesia and instead do 2 4th year electives in the Fall in Anesthesia?

So, if any of you have ideas on what I ought to do that could prove more helpful, please let me know. Thanks!

#1 Doctor4Life1769, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bump for help!

3. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My advice would be to the selectives that are interesting to you. They're there to expose you to different areas, so take advantage of that. You don't need to tailor them all to applying in anesthesiology.

I'm also curious about how your school can fit all those core rotations into the fall semester. That just seems very unusual.

4. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the reply!

Our rotations begin June 29. Each are 3-4 weeks long I believe.

In reference to the other 3 that I must pick from, I was not sure which to pick b/c I have no exposure to those fields outside of what's been taught in the classroom setting. Endocrinology, Allergy/Immuno, and Rheum interest me b/c in some shape or form I've had to deal with that (either myself or family). Cardio/Pulm seem to be the big deal IM subspecialties that I have some interest in. I'm not into GI. ID is interesting but I just dont know what to expect from it.

So, my question is this, if any of you have had exposures to these above subspecialties, could anyone give perspective on what they thought about these fields, how easy/hard the rotations were, if it was interesting or not so interesting, etc.? That would be great, thanks again!

5. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

First of all, I think that you should do an anesthesiology rotation third year to confirm that you like it and that's what you want to do.

As far as your IM electives, Rheum will likely be really laid back with easy hours. I agree that Cardio and Pulm will be the big players and taking those will be worth it for the future, for shelf exams, step 2, and also as an anesthesiologist. Nephrology is probably the other big player, but I don't see it on your list. I don't really know what the rotations will be like from a student's standpoint though. BTW, your core rotations are really short. At most other schools they are 4-12 weeks long.

6. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did rotate last summer in anesthesia and got to do some hands-on things, such as intubation. I enjoyed the experience a lot. I also gained a better understanding of the drugs used and why, MOA, duration, etc. It helped me a lot in my 2nd year pharm courses overall. I also figure the CC and Pain selectives in 3rd year would lend to Anesthesia sub-specialties and see if I have any interest in those. Please let me know what you think about my opinion there.

Also, 4 weeks of OB, 4 weeks of Gen Surg, 4 of Psych, 4 of Peds, and 8 of IM. I agree that it's likely less time. I guess they just want to emphasize Primary Care (4 weeks of FP, 8 of Community Health, etc) since I do attend a DO program. I guess it also just lends more time for selectives and electives.

I don't have much interest in Nephrology, but you're right, maybe I should consider that. Since I want to do CC and Pain for my only 2 selectives in year 3, I guess I will do Cardio, Pulm, and Nephro for my 4th year selectives and not do Allergy/Immuno, Rheum, Endo, or ID even. What do you think about that?

#6 Doctor4Life1769, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  7. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

My suggestion would be to save CC for 4th year, because you will know a lot more after doing all your rotations and with that knowledge will likely be allowed to do more and get more out of the rotation. Maybe do Cardio 3rd year?

8. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I may try that. I just know that all my core-rotations will be done except EM and Community Hospital (which I must do in my 4th year). However, if you feel that CC is best served during 4th year, I'll do that. Anyone else with opinions please send my way! Thanks!

9. NPEMTIV

NPEMTIV Accidentally Accepted
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    These two statements are contradictory. This schedule looks like you're a fellow LMU-DCOMer. If that's the case you can't do two of the electives in a given year! Cheers!

10. NPEMTIV

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would agree that CC would be best served 4th year. Everyone I've talked to about it has said the same thing. You can do it 3rd, but you'll get a lot more out of it 4th year.

11. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I am. I know we can't do >1/year, but I wasn't sure if we did none in 3rd year that we could do 2 in 4th year, but on a second thought - nevermind, thanks bud.

CC I'll do 4th year. What are your and other's take on Trauma? Also a rotation to do in the 4th year?

12. NPEMTIV

Fellow [Any Field]
    No sweat. I think Trauma is the same as the CC recommendation. You'll get more out of it and perform better 4th year.

13. Doctor4Life1769

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sounds good, I can roll with that.

Thanks again bud, hope you're having a good holidays!