Apr 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi everybody! I am excited to have my very first post and to briefly introduce myself, I majored in chemistry in undergrad, thinking only about chemistry graduate school, but decided not to pursue a graduate degree after not enjoying the research experience.

I am currently in Master of Accounting (MAcc) program, because I enjoyed accounting classes, but I have been considering becoming a pharmacist, because my personality seems more suitable. I like problem solving, genuinely caring, and independent.

I am wondering how I should fulfill the prerequisite courses for the pharmacy school. I know that different schools have different prerequisite courses are different, but roughly I need to take:

2 semesters of Biology, Microbiology, Physiology, Anatomy, and Public Speech -> for sure

Two semesters of o-chem and biochem -> if I can retake them. I got B, B+, and C+, respectively.

1. Are there specific post bacc programs for prepharm option? Most of the post bacc courses that I was able to find online and this forum focus on premed.
2. Most of the deadlines seem passed... Maybe pursue the "informal" post bacc programs?
3. I am currently in Michigan for grad school, but I am originally from California, so I definitely want to go back. Any post bacc programs to be recommended in California? (I am a Cal. resident)

Any help will be appreciated! :)

sUrface

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2008
Status
I am wondering how I should fulfill the prerequisite courses for the pharmacy school. I know that different schools have different prerequisite courses are different, but roughly I need to take:

2 semesters of Biology, Microbiology, Physiology, Anatomy, and Public Speech -> for sure

Two semesters of o-chem and biochem -> if I can retake them. I got B, B+, and C+, respectively.

1. Are there specific post bacc programs for prepharm option? Most of the post bacc courses that I was able to find online and this forum focus on premed.
2. Most of the deadlines seem passed... Maybe pursue the "informal" post bacc programs?
3. I am currently in Michigan for grad school, but I am originally from California, so I definitely want to go back. Any post bacc programs to be recommended in California? (I am a Cal. resident)

Why are you retaking classes you got a B in? Seems like a waste of time.

1) Apply to shadow/tech at a pharmacy, that's the best pre-pharm "post-bacc" experience you can get.

2) My friend is doing a post-bacc position at NIH that is a "formal post-bacc". Im working in a research lab at a hospital as my post-bacc for the year between college and pharmacy school. I guess you could say my post-bacc is informal since its really not a "post-bacc" position but a research assistant position the PI fills with recent grads before they move on to bigger and better things (PhD, med, pharmacy, nursing, etc).

3) No idea, good luck!

AntiviralsRule

Student Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2007
Bay Area, Calif.
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi everybody! I am excited to have my very first post and to briefly introduce myself, I majored in chemistry in undergrad, thinking only about chemistry graduate school, but decided not to pursue a graduate degree after not enjoying the research experience.

I am currently in Master of Accounting (MAcc) program, because I enjoyed accounting classes, but I have been considering becoming a pharmacist, because my personality seems more suitable. I like problem solving, genuinely caring, and independent.

You mentioned California, if you're thinking about the Bay Area, there are several options. First, you might consider SF State. They have a formal post-bacc program. See: http://online.sfsu.edu/~brothman/

There's also Mills College (in Oakland), but they're pricey. See: http://www.mills.edu/academics/graduate/pmc_gr/

Finally, CSU East Bay (where I did my post-bac work) is a great public school, and it offers a post-bac health professions program. See: http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/certificate/prehealth/index.shtml

You can also enroll in many universities through Open University, which allows you to take prereq classes for credit. It tends to be more expensive than traditional undergrad, though.

These are all "pre-health" or pre-med programs, but they offer the same requirements needed for pharmacy school.

Good luck!