questions.... so many questions!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbfgirls

Reaction score
I've been a dental assistant for 15 years and have always wanted to go to dental school! I'm 32 years old, work full time (lead assistant), and have 2 kids. I have recently decided to get my Bachelors Degree online as I am unable to quit my job to take classes.I've looked at their website many times but still have questions. I have plenty of people in the Dental Field that have already told me they will write a recommendation letter for me. I am a Florida resident and my end goal is to attend UF. My questions are: Do I have a shot? I'm aware online isn't the "best" but does that hurt my chances? Is this a shot in the dark? Does anyone have advice? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been a dental assistant for 15 years and have always wanted to go to dental school! I'm 32 years old, work full time (lead assistant), and have 2 kids. I have recently decided to get my Bachelors Degree online as I am unable to quit my job to take classes.I've looked at their website many times but still have questions. I have plenty of people in the Dental Field that have already told me they will write a recommendation letter for me. I am a Florida resident and my end goal is to attend UF. My questions are: Do I have a shot? I'm aware online isn't the "best" but does that hurt my chances? Is this a shot in the dark? Does anyone have advice? Thank you in advance.
From my perspective, you have more than enough dental experience and all that stuff so really the biggest thing for you would be the DAT. A good GPA would help as well.

From my perspective, you have more than enough dental experience and all that stuff so really the biggest thing for you would be the DAT. A good GPA would help as well.
Thank you so much!!!! At what point can/should you take the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a shot but some schools really look down on online degrees, sadly. You may want to call UF and make sure that it will not be a mark against your application. A lot too will require that your pre-reqs are not online which again may be an issue. You will want to check with each school.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a shot but some schools really look down on online degrees, sadly. You may want to call UF and make sure that it will not be a mark against your application. A lot too will require that your pre-reqs are not online which again may be an issue. You will want to check with each school.
That's what I was afraid of!!!! So exactly how does 1 go back to school without quitting their job :) I have called and emailed so many times and haven't been able to get a return call back.... I feel like I'm driving myself crazy with the what ifs...

That's what I was afraid of!!!! So exactly how does 1 go back to school without quitting their job :) I have called and emailed so many times and haven't been able to get a return call back.... I feel like I'm driving myself crazy with the what ifs...
Yeah, some schools are not exactly friendly for that. It is hard to go back to school without quitting a job and managing a family. I have one little girl and another on the way while my wife and I both in school. It is not easy by any means. The best thing I can tell you is try and find some of the pre-req classes that are offered at night and try to do those if you can find babysitting. The school might not care. I will honestly say that UF was never a school that I even looked into. I would just check with them before you invest a lot of money, only to find out that they won't take your credits.

Consider hygiene school probably a better return on investment imo

You won’t be able to take all the pre reqs online. Classes like bio lab, gen chem lab, and orgo lab need to be done in a lab setting at a university. Can you cut hours back so you don’t work a certain day of the week and schedule your classes that day?

And like was said above, an online university for some classes is ok but some schools won’t accept online pre reqs, and most wont accept pre reqs from a community college. If you really want this you will have to sacrifice and cut back hours and probably live off loans like a lot of students do. Good luck!

You won’t be able to take all the pre reqs online. Classes like bio lab, gen chem lab, and orgo lab need to be done in a lab setting at a university. Can you cut hours back so you don’t work a certain day of the week and schedule your classes that day?

And like was said above, an online university for some classes is ok but some schools won’t accept online pre reqs, and most wont accept pre reqs from a community college. If you really want this you will have to sacrifice and cut back hours and probably live off loans like a lot of students do. Good luck!
Thank you so much. I mean I could definitely "try" but worried about how to make ends meet in the meantime! My daughter told me if my goals/dreams don't scare me then they aren't big enough....