Questions that I need an answer to.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsasi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm sorry about the science vs. non-science gpa question again, but I was wondering what a 3.8 GPA cum, vs. something like a 3.2 gpa would mean to a med school admissions officer. On a side note, I heard they factor in math as part of the science gpa, fact or fiction? Also, how much do medical schools value commitment to extracurricular activities that have absolutely no relation to the medical field. (For instance, I am a state chess champion). Sorry for all the ignorant questions, just trying to keep my head above water, freshman year in college.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by vsasi
i'm sorry about the science vs. non-science gpa question again, but I was wondering what a 3.8 GPA cum, vs. something like a 3.2 gpa would mean to a med school admissions officer. On a side note, I heard they factor in math as part of the science gpa, fact or fiction? Also, how much do medical schools value commitment to extracurricular activities that have absolutely no relation to the medical field. (For instance, I am a state chess champion). Sorry for all the ignorant questions, just trying to keep my head above water, freshman year in college.

1) math is part of the AMCAS sci gpa, calc...stat...even conceptual math classes
2) commitment to other non-science related pursuits, ECs is a definite plus. schools want well rounded people, and in your interview many times you wont even talk about medicine/science for the whole time slot, they try to see if you can hold a normal conversation about all your interests
3) 3.8 cum is good, 3.2 science is low...bring that science up if you can, youre only a frosh so you have plenty of time, and upward trends are looked upon favorably. med school after all is a ton of science thrown at you, and schools need some way to sort out b/w all the applicants, and science gpa is often a key component of this
4) always good to ask questions, even if you are a freshman. i wish i had asked more then.

Originally posted by vsasi

I can't speak for a medical school but I would deduce you're not very good in the sciences. If a med school sees it the same way it could create a problem. A 3.2 isn't that bad, but pull it up a little if you can.

Yes, math is included in your science GPA. Your science GPA includes courses in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math.

I think they would love your commitment to chess. Med schools love diversity and the more diverse the better. They definitely take into account activities that aren't medically related. Good luck!:)