Questions to ask a PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be meeting a new PI for the first time today. In the meeting, we'll be discussing about a new project I'll potentially receive. Three things I'm going to ask is 1) the timeline of the project, like what stage its menuscript is at, 2) who (if any) worked on the project before me, and 3) what techniques will be used for the project. Any other good questions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask about the literature review... Has it been done? Can I help? Although it sounds boring its useful so that you can better understand your project and understand all your work

I'll be meeting a new PI for the first time today. In the meeting, we'll be discussing about a new project I'll potentially receive. Three things I'm going to ask is 1) the timeline of the project, like what stage its menuscript is at, 2) who (if any) worked on the project before me, and 3) what techniques will be used for the project. Any other good questions would be appreciated.
You should ask who you are actually going to be working with, as in which grad student or post-doc. How much independence will you have? Will you only assist others in experiments or do things yourself? Will you be able to branch out to other projects if this doesn't work? ....