questions to ask about the school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beagle

Meet BEAGLE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good questions to ask about the school during your interview?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

These are the ones I use ;) :

1. What are the clinical opportunities for a first year dental school at this shool?
- usually they won't be able to answer this question because the person interviewing you isn't really informed about this aspect because the students are the ones that are going through it. This opinion is from my experience ofcourse.

2. What does this school offer that other schools don't?
- this one is tricky, but if you're having a casual conversation and laughing then it's not that bad to ask. You can probably word it like: In your opinion, what's the difference here as opposed to other schools.

Usually, you'll only have time to ask 1-2 questions so these are the ones I tend to use.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

AE

I think this thread is a great idea. I hope more people will add with their regular questions, and any creative ones they have used or thought of.

I know the admissions director at UOP said to ask about graduation rates, and reasons for the numbers.

Might also want to ask about board scores, and reasons behind those numbers as well.

When going to interviews you have to be able to look through the "salesman" aspect of some of the schools. I had some schools espouse about they were ranked "#-whatever" of all the dental schools, but when I asked how they got that rating, they said it was based on research funding. I asked how they were ranked on their clinical skills, and I got a weak response.
I also have had schools tell me their patient pool was a certain size, but as I talked to the students, I enjoyed hearing how some of them had such a large patient pool to pull from that they finished their senior requirements by December of their 4th year! I also interviewed at some schools in areas where the students were worried about getting enough patients so they could graduate on time!
I also think performance on Part I of the boards is most important b/c that is the only board score you will have when applying for specialty programs. Schools who said that their students didn't do that well on Part I BUT do much very well on Part II didn't resonate with me.
Lastly, some schools will tell you that they graduate 100% of their students in 4 years. If 75 students enter, then 75 will graduate. It sounds good, but you have to be worried that they might be pushing kids out as quickly as they are getting them in. I really liked the schools that said that you couldn't matriculate into the next year/semester without passing all sections of Part I.
Of course, that is what I was looking for in a dental school. I still maintain that there isn't a "bad" dental school. Where one school excels in academics, another might excel in patient availability/clinical exposure. It is up to you to decide what is important for you...