Questions to ask as a Volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ephesus32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!

I decided to start volunteering and doctor shadowing in a week or so. What would you guys recommend as some as good questions to ask these doctors??

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

ask them whatever stuff that you don't know or are curioius about, when they are not busy

Well I'm just entering college this fall but when I did a 3 month long shadowing gig at this clinic the first thing I asked the physicians were their stories. Basically why they decided to pursue their particular field, describe their experiences in college/medical school, and any advice they'd like to give me. Of course I didn't flat out ask this but I guided conversations so that I'd get the answers.

Besides that just follow them around, if you see something interesting, talk to them about it and most importantly have fun (if thats possible haha).

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm just entering college this fall but when I did a 3 month long shadowing gig at this clinic the first thing I asked the physicians were their stories. Basically why they decided to pursue their particular field, describe their experiences in college/medical school, and any advice they'd like to give me. Of course I didn't flat out ask this but I guided conversations so that I'd get the answers.

Besides that just follow them around, if you see something interesting, talk to them about it and most importantly have fun (if thats possible haha).

Sounds like your docs had some free time to talk! My suggestion would be for the most part, follow and watch. If the doc has a minute, I'd ask about the procedure they were doing, why they ordered a certain test, what they thought about a patient's symptoms, etc. In my experience, the docs are really focused while they're working, and it worked to ask them to talk outloud about the things they were already focusing on internally.

Also, depending on the area (ER for me) don't take it personally if you start talking about something, a call comes in, and the doc or rn just cuts you off. I've gotten really experienced at talking in very short soundbites.

Presumably you're shadowing for days or weeks? No worries about learning everything fast, you'll learn a huge amount just being there and absorbing what the doc does.

A great part about shadowing is the opportunity to figure out what questions to ask yourself. Keep a small notebook or piece of paper and a pen in your pocket at all times. Use it to keep track of words, phrases, or procedures you don't understand so you can look them up when you get home (wikipedia and google are your friend). That way you come back each day with a little more knowledge than the previous day and you don't have to ask the doctor what an infant growth chart is for. Save his or her time for more important questions (*cough, cough* LOR *cough cough*).

one of the questions I most often ask the drs in my volunteer position is their lifestyle. I want to know what I"m getting myself into.

I also ask them specifics of what theyre doing... basically "why are you doing that", but in a more educated way. :)

Hi!!

I decided to start volunteering and doctor shadowing in a week or so. What would you guys recommend as some as good questions to ask these doctors??

Thanks! :)

Honestly, just ask whatever you want, you really have nothing to lose. You're not being graded or anything, so there's absolutely no pressure in having to think of something intelligent to say... of course, don't be too much of an annoyance, as the doc is really doing you a hyge favor by letting you be there.

If I were you, I would ask him, "Did you go into medicine because of chicks and money?"

thanks for all the replies! I recently started shadowing a doctor in internal medicine. supposedly he's like the favorite in the entire hospital..with the nurses..patients..pretty much everyone. Questions seem to just come to me as he makes his rounds. I don't know why I didn't do shawdowing earlier. I'm learning and enjoying so much. He's even said, he likes my questions soo much, he wants me to stick around because it makes him think.

The doc you're shadowing seems to have a great personality.
Lucky you!
How did you go about finding such a doc to shadow?
Did you choose to shadow him on purpose or just randomly?

Actually, my mom works in the hospital. She got me an oppurtunity to shadow him. I tried calling like so many other doctors, like 15, and no luck. But don't let that stop you, keep on calling and hopefully one will say yes : )