Questions To Ask At Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

ParallelUniverse

What are some good questions to ask interviewers when they ask you "Do you have any questions about the university/program/etc..."? I really dont want to get there, have my brain freeze up and go "Duh", since I dont think that will impress them very much. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask something that is unique to the interviewers perspective (as a clinician/researcher/prof/etc). Mostly i just begged off asking by saying the students and guides had been very thorough, and i really don't have anything outstanding. I think most appreciated the expediency. But ask if not doing so makes you feel weird. --Trek

In all of my interviews, I've asked them, "what makes your school special and unique to you?" It gives them a chance to tell me something I couldn't read in a pamphlet because it is personal to them. I've gotten great responses from everyone I've asked this to except for the guy from St. Louis U, who went, "uh...well...um...I guess I like the people I've worked with. I don't really like those kind of questions because it doesn't matter what I think, only what you think matters." I was pretty surprised, to say the least, but I think his answer was more indicitive of him as an interviewer and as a salesman for his school than for how the question is generally perceived. The SLU guy was just a horrible interviewer. He wouldn't make eye contact with me, and he didn't listen to me--twice asking me questions to which I had already given answers. Every other time I've asked it, I have received great information about the school that I would not have realized otherwise.