General Admissions & OTCAS Questions to ask in the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travelOt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an interview coming up for one the OT schools I applied to. I'm very nervous because I cannot think of many questions I should ask my interviewer toward the end, except for what are the different learning styles used in the program?

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

What are you interested in? Serving a specific community/population, research, approach to diversity...?

Hello,

I have an interview coming up for one the OT schools I applied to. I'm very nervous because I cannot think of many questions I should ask my interviewer toward the end, except for what are the different learning styles used in the program?

Any suggestions are welcomed!

I had 3 interviews back in February each one week apart. Trying to think of questions was tough for me, too. I made sure to research each school ahead of time and wrote down 2 questions specific to each program and another 2-3 that could be asked each school. Here are some of the questions I asked:
  • Fieldwork locations and if fieldwork coordinator(s) take our opinion into consideration
  • How does the program address students needs if they seem to be struggling?
  • Where do recent graduates usually find work?
  • What is the passing rate for the NBCOT exams?
The interviewers were very friendly and let me know that I don't just have to ask questions about their program. Since you will be attending their program for 2-3 years, they want you to ask about living in the area and make sure the program and location is the right fit for you. I recommend scouting out and exploring the area if you have the time. Remember that when you need a break from school, you want to make sure there is something for you to do. School is your #1 priority, but you also need much needed "me-time."

Remember to relax and get there with enough time before the interview. Since I was traveling from another state to my interviews, I made sure to get there the day before. I also made sure to leave my hotel early enough in case there was an accident or construction on the road. Better to be 15 minutes early than late!

Good luck on your interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the website for the program and read through the info. Read about the faculty, NBCOT pass rates, curriculum, etc. As you are reading, write down questions that come up. That's the best way to get a list of questions, and that way, you are likely to not ask about something that has been answered on the website. I brought a typed list of 6-7 questions to my interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
How involved are the alumni?
How does the program prepare you to work with low-budget clients/poor populations?
How does the program prepare you to cooperate with other health care professionals (doctors, PTs, etc)?
Can students become involved in any research done here? How are they involved?

I would avoid asking them anything you can look up yourself (i.e. board passing rates). For example if you want to ask about the boards, ask instead what the pass rate for FIRST attempts of the exam is.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, I know I'm a bit delayed, but I would like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your help and sharing your insight with me! I got into the school I had an interview with! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, I know I'm a bit delayed, but I would like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your help and sharing your insight with me! I got into the school I had an interview with! :soexcited:

Congratulations! What school will you be going to?

Thank you!!! Still deciding between 3 schools (1 in NY and 2 in MA)