questions. trying to get there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie.

firstly congrats to all those that matched and good luck to all those trying...

1) "resident dependent vs non-resident dependent institutions"

what exactly dos this mean? which is better and why? advantages and disadvantages to each?

2) any really great rotation experiences? I 've heard about great ones with great people and not so great with not so great people, i.e. RIC? I know it's a matter of opinion; so, what is your opinion? Were the attendings really cool? Nice hospital?

THANK YOU!!!

Members don't see this ad.

flow said:
I'm a newbie.

what exactly dos this mean? which is better and why? advantages and disadvantages to each?

2) any really great rotation experiences? I 've heard about great ones with great people and not so great with not so great people, i.e. RIC? I know it's a matter of opinion; so, what is your opinion? Were the attendings really cool? Nice hospital?

THANK YOU!!!

I did a rotation at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan (suburb of detroit). The attendings were some of the coolest I ever met. Very laid back and some big names like Myron LeBan and Ron Taylor. The residents were all happy for the most part. There were a couple of weird ones. The schedule for the residents was "the most cush of any program ever. period". They were never there earlier than 8am and never left much later than 4pm-5pm. Most days around 3pm-4pm. The hospital is a private, hotel-like place. So, based on your criteria in your question, this one would be place to look at. Now, with that said, I matched to RIC. Which, in my opinion met many of your criteria as well. Two very different places. You would work much harder at RIC, but the benefits of good didactics and outstanding training are definitely at RIC.

But, Beaumont was a great rotation experience. Also got a great LOR there.

flow said:
I'm a newbie.

THANK YOU!!!

I believe resident dependent vs non-resident dependent refers to whether the institution needs residents to function or not. For example, anesthesia at the hospitals associated with my medical school do NOT need the resdients there to run the show..i.e. they would be perfectly fine without a single resident. However ob/gyn needs residents to cover night shift in l&d, without which, there would have to be major changes in attending coverage. This is my understanding of this topic.

One might learn more in a dependent situation, however the relegation to scut and use as cheap labor as a resident also exists, too. Drawing blood and running central lines is educational. Taking blood down to the lab because there isn't enough nursing/midlevel coverage is not. Dictating a d/c summary to learn is ok, but having to do all d/c dictations because there are no midlevels to cover is not educational, per se.