Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimeeoum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in High School. I know I want to go into the medical field, but I'm still uncertain about what type of job I'd like to do. I'm considering, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, or MD. I don't think I'd like to become an MD because of the long years in school. I would like to start a family and not have to wait til I'm in my 30s. So either a Pharmacist or PA would be good. I have some questions about Pharmacy.

1. Is it a good path to take, is the job outlook good?
2. What classes should I take and do well in, while I'm still in HS to prepare for Pharmacy?
3. How much do Pharmacists make annually?

and any other info you would like to tell me to help me decide...THANKS.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
aimeeoum,

You can go to the Career Center at your High School and talk to Counsler about Internship(without paid) at Pharmacy. So, that way you can better decide Pharmacy or Physician Assistant? You'll be intouch with lots of different Pharmacists while doing Internship at pharmacy and can ask them questions that you have(like why pharmacy, how did you prepare for pharmacy in senior year of high school, etc.)
That's exactly what I did (work as an Intern at Eckerd pharmacy during my senior year in high school).

Answers(this just my opinion):
1. As of now, Pharmacy seems like very demanding career to me.
2. I didn't took any special classes during high school, I just took the classes that I need in order to graduate.
3. It all depends on how much experience you have in a pharmacy and where you live, what is your position(Director, Staff Pharmacist, Clinical Pharmacist, etc...)

I hope this helps!

The job outlook is good, as discussed in other threads.

You need to do well in math so that you can get through a college calculus class. You also need to do well in chemistry and biology. The chemistry you learn will be used later, so I would consider it the most important high school course a pre-pharm will take.

A Pharmacist will make a bit more than the average PA.
Physician assistant earnings
Pharmacist earnings
Either way you go, you'll be able to live comfortably. Go with whatever you think is the best fit, and you will be happier in the long run. Don't let the difference in income be the deciding factor.