SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by gochi, Mar 26, 2007.

1. gochi

gochi 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Hi,

I live in Canada. I looked at pre-dents, and I saw some students from Canada who had 3.3-3.6 GPA's who didnt get accepted into some of the more easy dental schools, such as Howard, NYU, Mehhary and Temple. I just finsihed two semesters and I have a gpa of 2.7. I still have about 65 more credits to do. My questions is, that even if I get A's in all my courses, by talking 3 classes per semester including the summer, I'll end up w/a 3.4 GPA. Are the chances for me getting accepted to any of those colleges/universities pretty low ?

Also, during the interview process or before the interview, does the admissions comittee look only at the gpa, or do they look at the individual marks for all the classes ? Also, does taking three classes per semester make me look bad ?,I know I can do 4, but I cant guarantee an A in all of them, but with 3 per semester I can .

I know the dentistry curriculum is devastating, but we dont have to get A's in all the courses, B's will be fine, right ?

Thanks, maybe my problem has been addressed somewhere else, but for US students.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. diane07

diane07 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Most schools received a couple thousand applications this last cycle. Dental school is competitive, that's why you see people with decent stats not getting accepted.

Try to make yourself as competitive an applicant as possible, and definitely bring that GPA up!

Schools want well rounded people. But you need competitive stats in order to get your foot in the door (ie - an interview!)

Schools definitely look at your science GPA, and AADSAS even calculates it separately.

We can't give you a definitive answer, just opinions. . .

4. gochi

gochi 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2006
    ok....does anybody know of any new dental schools opening up ??

thanks