Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvduplex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I a little depressed right now because of my gpa. My overall gpa is 3.43 and my sci gpa is 3.09. I have not taken the DAT yet. I am going to take it at the end of July. Hopefully I will have a decent score.

My question is that what are my chance of getting into these school: UF, Nova,VCU, Meharry, ASDOH, Temple. (By the way the only reasons why I apply to UF and Nova is because I live in Florida). And, what other school should I apply to?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Take this from someone who has been through the application process...you are FINE!

I dont know what the statistics are for each of those schools. Visit their websites and pull up the pdfs of their previously admitted years' DAT and GPA statistics. This will allow you to gauge the schools that you have a better chance of gettin into.

Have some confidence. Believe it or not, these schools are not simply looking for a 4.0 student. They are looking for the whole package...your scores, your extracurriculars, your grades, your drive for dentistry, your ability to answer impromptu questions during an interview...

Basically, youve done everything you can...now its time to apply so do it and wait for the responses. Worst thing that can happen is that you are rejected right? And then...you just apply again. Its nothing to discourage yourself about. You are applying with very similar GPA stats when compared to other ppl. Remember there are about 10k applicants you think they all have superb GPAs? I highly doubt it. Good luck on DATS!

Check www.predents.com

You can get a sense of the stat ranges that each school takes, as well as where they draw their students from.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends on your DAT score. If you can score a 20 or above, I'd say you have a legit shot.

By the way, if you are not an underrepresented minority, I suggest you don't apply to Meharry since they target a specific group of applicants.

Thank you for your supports everyone. I guess I am a little worry because this is my first time applying to dental school and I really want to get in. I apologized if I act a little dramatic :). I have a lot of things going on, so I am a bit stress out. I going try to study hard for the DAT for now and wish for the best.

It all depends on your DAT score. If you can score a 20 or above, I'd say you have a legit shot.

By the way, if you are not an underrepresented minority, I suggest you don't apply to Meharry since they target a specific group of applicants.

Thanks for pointing the minority things out to me. How can you tell it was a underrepresented minority school? I going to apply to a couple more school and I don't want to choose the wrong school.:)

You live in Florida (not sure where) but doesn't the UF dental program mainly accept their own undergrads? I could be wrong on that. Or maybe the majority of the class comes from their undergrads... I think that is what I heard. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

Nova is a little GPA oriented, with their last class being like.. minimum 3.6, something around there. But again, I guess it's worth a try.

Good luck on the DAT, etc.

And like hysteria said, predents.com is a way to check out the schools you're interested in.