Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sakab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an undergraduate freshman and I'm looking into both pharmacy and dentistry as possible careers. I realize that comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges and that the only way to know what I would want to do for the rest of my life is by shadowing (which I am planning on doing over the summer). Anyways, I have a few questions:

1. Would a non-ACS certified chemistry degree be more suitable for me than an ACS certified chemistry degree? I'm currently "signed up" to take classes/labs that would make my degree ACS certified, but would it be better to not do that? I was under the impression that ACS certified degrees really only apply to those who want to continue studying/researching chemistry after undergrad, and non-ACS would be for everything else (pharmacy, dentistry, medicine, etc.).

2. I'm in 3 clubs, but 2 of them are volunteer based. Although I'm going to volunteer elsewhere over the summer, would those clubs be listed in the extracurricular section of the application? If not, does it ask how much time I spent in the clubs (on an hourly basis)? I feel as if the club meetings (1 hour per club per week) take up way more time then how much I volunteer. Do those hours count for anything at all? For example, for Circle-K, members only volunteer the required 10 hours over one semester. I guess a better question to ask would be how the application is structured (as far as volunteering/extracurriculars/etc. goes).

3. Do most applications who are accepted graduate with latin honors (Cum Laude or Gamma Sigma Epsilon, for example)?

Members don't see this ad.

1. It doesn't matter. My degree in chemistry is not ACS certified, yet I was hired for an analytical chemistry position right out of school. The question of whether my degree was ACS certified definitely never came up during my job interview, so I can't fathom how it would in a pharmacy school app/interview. Do whatever you think best.

2. There is a place to list extracurriculars on the PharmCAS application, which is where you would put your volunteer and club experiences. You pretty much just list what you did, for how long, and whether it's got anything to do with health care.

3. Beats me. Cum Laude is what, 3.5? Many people who get in to school have that or above, many don't. You're a freshman, concentrate on getting good grades and learning stuff, the rest takes care of itself.

2. There is a place to list extracurriculars on the PharmCAS application, which is where you would put your volunteer and club experiences. You pretty much just list what you did, for how long, and whether it's got anything to do with health care.

To extend this answer, yes, it does ask you total hours & how many hours per week you volunteered.

3. Beats me. Cum Laude is what, 3.5? Many people who get in to school have that or above, many don't. You're a freshman, concentrate on getting good grades and learning stuff, the rest takes care of itself.

QFT. :thumbup:

Although your momma might like to see the honors cords & the latin honorifics. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Would meeting hours be included?