quick and easy meningitis question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobaltgreen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey-
have to write a short blurb about someone who had a positive (by PCR) meningitis CSF culture.

question: can i tell what sort of meningitis he has (viral or bacterial)? does a positive PCR test mean that he has an active infection?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey-
have to write a short blurb about someone who had a positive (by PCR) meningitis CSF culture.

question: can i tell what sort of meningitis he has (viral or bacterial)? does a positive PCR test mean that he has an active infection?

thanks
in the CSF:
bacteria would have increased protein and decreased glucose as well as neutrophils. a viral infection would have inc or normal protein, normal glucose, and lymphocytes.

ah--gotcha. the lab only lists PCR positive and no cells present. the chart is not complete yet for the other things...

culture was also negative.

Members don't see this ad :)
his age-- 20 years old. his immune status is competent. (sorry i have so little info--the chart is not available so i am going from memory.)

he has a history of depression and drug use--tox screen shows THC only.

he was in the hospital for the meningitis--but he states that they did not do much and he was out in a few days. that was in early august. he came into the office recently--so i am trying to glean as much as i can without all the data.

thanks for all the quick replies!

We usually only send CSF for PCR for herpes. So it is a good chance that the positive PCR was for a herpes virus.

hey-

thanks

PCR is a highly specific test- thus just knowing that it came back "positive by PCR" will tell you nothing. You need to know what PCR test was done- IE was it done using primers specific to DNA of Viral or Bacterial origin? Once you figure that out, you will have your answer.

Exactly where is this lab data coming from? A print-out? The patient's electronic chart?