quick couple of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstar71115

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

My school doesn't have a pre-vet club (it's more of a pre-med kind of school - I've only met one other prevet in 2 years!!), so I was wondering if you thought it would be beneficial for me to join AMSA? I feel I'm lacking a lot in the extra-curricular category.

Also I'm trying to figure LORs and was curious if it's frowned upon to get one from a non-science professor? I took a fascinating middle eastern culture/history class last semester and got to know the prof pretty well.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about AMSA, but I totally understand about going to a school with very few other pre-vets (I'm the only one in my class). If there are at least two or three other students out there, you might think about uniting and starting your own club. Another girl and I started one this semester at our school, and we have eight members now, most of whom I'd never met or heard of! Just a thought :).

Another thought might be to join other more general clubs like a biology, chemistry or anything-that-interests-you club. The key though is to be active! Be sure to attend meetings, offer ideas, volunteer for fundraisers, or even hold an office somewhere! Being the secretary and treasurer of our bio club, the club's advisor asked me to record activity and attendance of the members so that they knew who was worthy of favorable LORs.

I agree about simply joining clubs that interest you. If you have a hobby that your school provides an outlet for, or just something you think you might really enjoy, sign up for it! It'll probably give you something besides pure vet school preparation to talk about in any future interviews, and that will be important. Schools want to see that you have a life outside of the hardcore sciences, too!

Also, one of my LORs was from a professor in the college of business at my undergraduate university, who teaches honors courses every now and then. I happened to take her honors course in globalization and walked out with a great LOR from her after organizing a classwide Earth Day project and working with her very closely in the process! As a result, I wouldn't hesitate to get a fantastic LOR from a non-science professor, as they're not just selling your academic strengths, but your character. Any vets you might work with will be able to speak for your interactions with animals and co-workers in a clinical/laboratory setting and your GPA/transcript will speak for your ability to handle intense science courses, but your professor can speak for your academic work ethic, interactions in a professional academic environment, and general attitude outside of the animal world, no matter what course they teach. Stick with the professors who know you best. They'll be able to highlight your attributes where a professor of a science course with possibly hundreds of students and no real recollection of who you are simply cannot.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that, if your university doesn't offer any clubs of interest to you, try to find them in the community and do them on your own. You could volunteer with a shelter or join a community dance club or a book club or anything else you want! Definitely don't limit yourself to what your school offers, if you truly don't like what's on their menu. If anything, going out on your own to join non-university clubs or volunteering groups will show initiative and a drive to go after your wants. Can't hurt. :)

Last edited: