Step II Quick CS question (viral vs bacterial)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Central_SOULcus

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I'm taking CS very soon and am wondering if people made a distinction for viral vs bacterial in your differential diagnoses. For instance, let's say the SP has obvious signs/Sx of acute sinusitis (fever, frontal headache, rhinorrhea (+/- purulent), tender sinuses, etc). Since fever and purulent nasal discharge can occur in either viral or bacterial, under diagnosis #1, would we just write "Acute sinusitis," or would it be more like: Diagnosis 1 - Viral sinusitis; Diagnosis 2 - Bacterial sinusitis...

Thanks!!
 
Hello everyone,

I'm taking CS very soon and am wondering if people made a distinction for viral vs bacterial in your differential diagnoses. For instance, let's say the SP has obvious signs/Sx of acute sinusitis (fever, frontal headache, rhinorrhea (+/- purulent), tender sinuses, etc). Since fever and purulent nasal discharge can occur in either viral or bacterial, under diagnosis #1, would we just write "Acute sinusitis," or would it be more like: Diagnosis 1 - Viral sinusitis; Diagnosis 2 - Bacterial sinusitis...

Thanks!!
I would consult First Aid for CS regarding this.
 
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, First Aid doesn't say either way. For the example I gave, they just listed "Acute sinusitis." Normally I would go with that, but given the recent, tougher grading, I don't know if this is expected of us now...

I think the recent changes in grading of CS involves raising the minimum passing for example in Step 1 from 192 to 194 and not necessarily changing the difficulty of the exam itself. I think Acute sinusitis (both bacterial and viral) would still count as 1 diagnosis