quick Duke question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MZN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been sitting on the Duke secondary forever because I hate it. Anyway, I finally decided to do it, but now I have a question. In the essay about stem cells, etc. did you guys define what you were discussing. i.e did you include a brief definition of embryonic stem cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, etc.? I did because I thought the science was complex enough that the average person would not know, but when I asked my mom to edit it, she said I should take that out because my readers already know the terms. So what did you do????

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't really define the general terms. I was running out of space for one thing. I did write something like, "stem cell research is largely controversial because of the sources for this investigation...." and moved on from there. i'd leave the generic definitions out. it takes up space and they certainly know what's up with it.

the people reading the essay will probably be familiar with the topic and technologies involved. I didn't define anything - not that I had room to anyway. If they had wanted a nice essay for the general public, they should have given us more room!

although... sometimes they are looking for didactic principles in yoru essays... its a bitcch really... you always hear about how you're supposed to assume your reader knows nothing of the situation- and then in cases like this- how can you ??
p