Quick dumb AACOMAS/AMCAS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So firstly, I finished shadowing a DO this week after a ton of struggle and at the end, I asked him for a letter of recommendation to which he said YES!!!

Byah.gif

Anyway, my question is: Can I have him upload his letter to AACOMAS/AMCAS this early when I plan on applying in the 2017/2018 cycle? I'm fairly certain I can, but I don't want to have him upload it only to find out he has to do it again when the next application cycle starts. I only plan on applying to 1-2 MD schools due to being in WWAMI, so AACOMAS is my main concern.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!! :)

EDIT: He never wrote me a letter and AACOMAS ruined my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
interfolio is bae, have all ur letter writers submit to interfolio, trust me it will save u from so many headaches in the long run

Members don't see this ad :)
I would use Interfolio for this. I used Interfolio to have writers submit their letters before amcas/aacomas was open for the cycle, and it worked very smoothly.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

interfolio is bae, have all ur letter writers submit to interfolio, trust me it will save u from so many headaches in the long run

This is the reason I love this place. I'd be hopeless without you guys. I'll get signed up. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question on this. From what I understand, the letters need to have Letter IDs on them. Don't we have to have an open application to get a letter ID? Someone please educate me. I am stressing a little. Thanks!

I have a question on this. From what I understand, the letters need to have Letter IDs on them. Don't we have to have an open application to get a letter ID? Someone please educate me. I am stressing a little. Thanks!

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but I will give this a shot. After the letter is uploaded on interfolio by your recommender, interfolio generates a document id which starts like "send.jondoe...." when you start your application and get asked for recommenders email address, you simply paste this document "email address" on the application and interfolio gets the signal to send out the letter. They then email you to pay a $4 fee for every letter you ask them to release.
I am sorry in advance if this wasn't what you were inquiring about.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd hate to create a new one for one question.

Does Interfolio work the same way for committee letters? What I mean is, say I collect 5 letters from 5 people, have them upload it to interfolio and when my committee wants them for my commitee interview, I can just send it via interfolio to my head committee writer?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd hate to create a new one for one question.

Does Interfolio work the same way for committee letters? What I mean is, say I collect 5 letters from 5 people, have them upload it to interfolio and when my committee wants them for my commitee interview, I can just send it via interfolio to my head committee writer?

Yes. You can have interfolio mail the letters to your school so they have a physical copy. ( not sure if there is an online application thing for committee where u can follow what I explained in my previous post). Think of interfolio as one big folder for saving all your letters and sending them out whenever u need to.

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but I will give this a shot. After the letter is uploaded on interfolio by your recommender, interfolio generates a document id which starts like "send.jondoe...." when you start your application and get asked for recommenders email address, you simply paste this document "email address" on the application and interfolio gets the signal to send out the letter. They then email you to pay a $4 fee for every letter you ask them to release.
I am sorry in advance if this wasn't what you were inquiring about.

Hey Clydesdale. Thanks for the quick response! When completing the AMCAS application each individual letter is issued a Letter ID by AMCAS and then a Letter Cover Form is generated. The website indicates each letter sent in (regardless of how it is sent) must include this letter ID on it so that it can be matched with the correct application. My letter writer asked that I get them the info they need this week to ensure the letter will be done by June. There has to be some other way since people collect letters for years before submitting. I am just missing something. I'm certain.

Hey Clydesdale. Thanks for the quick response! When completing the AMCAS application each individual letter is issued a Letter ID by AMCAS and then a Letter Cover Form is generated. The website indicates each letter sent in (regardless of how it is sent) must include this letter ID on it so that it can be matched with the correct application. My letter writer asked that I get them the info they need this week to ensure the letter will be done by June. There has to be some other way since people collect letters for years before submitting. I am just missing something. I'm certain.
https://help.interfolio.com/hc/en-u...o-deliver-letters-of-recommendation-to-AMCAS-
Does this help?

Reactions: 1 users

Your letter writer does not need to include the AMCAS letter ID in the actual physical letter. When you use Interfolio to send the letter to AMCAS, there is a box where you simply input the letter ID and that's all you need. The link from @Clydesdale is a step by step process on how to do this.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both!! I knew there was something I was missing.