quick financial aid question

Started by blobs
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blobs

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how does financial aid work currently?

i will be attending an out-of-state school and the tuition is probably be 25-30k a year, and i will only be to attend out-of-state places. what kind of non-need-based financial aid is there?

my parents make too much money for me to qualify for need-based aid.

basically, what kinds of loans/grants/scholarships are offered?
 
The financial aid counselor told me that once ur 23-24 or applyin for grad school are no longer under ur parents anyway, so u are supposedly an independent. I dont know about u, but without my parents income on FAFSA, i think im like dirt poor.. lol
 
Some state schools (so I've heard) offer in-state after a year in that state. I know it doesn't fly at IU but I thought maybe Ohio State. Maybe someone that knows could better answer ya. Just a thought.
 
All graduate students are considered independent regardless of age. They ask you to put your parents information on FAFSA if you can because it allows you to be eligible for 1 or 2 loans that require parent information, but they don't use that info for anything else and you're considered an independent for all of the loans. That's what I've been told at all 4 interviews I've been on.