Quick Grade Replacement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted446889

Hey all!

Just had a quick question about grade replacement for DO schools. I'm trying to retake some science classes that I took at a CC as a dual enrollment student as they're dragging my sGPA down. However, in FL they have a rule that any retaking a class that you originally got a C or above in won't be counted in their GPA.

I'm taking the class as a non-degree seeking student, my question is will those retakes still be counted by DO schools even though it won't by the college I'm taking it at? It will still be on my record, it just won't be counted in my GPA on my school transcript. I should think that this is okay because AACOMAS calculates its own GPA, so the retake should be counted by them as long as I have it under record that I took it. Just wanted to confirm!

Also 2 more quick questions:

1) I heard some rumors that the policy was changed so that only retakes with the exact same course code will count, is this true? That would make things a little difficult as I wanted to retake some other courses too.

2) I need to retake 3 classes to bring my sGPA up to a 3.2 (cGPA is around 3.5). Is this, coupled with a good MCAT score, enough to have a good chance at DO schools?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

Just had a quick question about grade replacement for DO schools. I'm trying to retake some science classes that I took at a CC as a dual enrollment student as they're dragging my sGPA down. However, in FL they have a rule that any retaking a class that you originally got a C or above in won't be counted in their GPA.

I'm taking the class as a non-degree seeking student, my question is will those retakes still be counted by DO schools even though it won't by the college I'm taking it at? It will still be on my record, it just won't be counted in my GPA on my school transcript. I should think that this is okay because AACOMAS calculates its own GPA, so the retake should be counted by them as long as I have it under record that I took it. Just wanted to confirm!

Also 2 more quick questions:

1) I heard some rumors that the policy was changed so that only retakes with the exact same course code will count, is this true? That would make things a little difficult as I wanted to retake some other courses too.

2) I need to retake 3 classes to bring my sGPA up to a 3.2 (cGPA is around 3.5). Is this, coupled with a good MCAT score, enough to have a good chance at DO schools?

Thank you!

AACOMAS counts every graded/credit hour course on your transcript. So they will count the retakes, no matter what schools do.

1) Not necessarily.. They can be very picky when replacing say Physics w/Calc I vs College Physics I if you take them at same university, as they aren't potentially the same courses so have different #'s, but I know students who have done such and gotten by with it. If at a different university it's easier exact course code helps but as long as the name/credit hours are mostly similar you would be fine.

2) 3.2 will potentially get you into some DO programs but some others you might not make the cut-off. A LOT depends on the rest of your app.

Just have your app ready early and apply broadly.

Best of Luck

Reactions: 1 user