quick help on addressing certain problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topspin82

Shaken *and* Stirred
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a reapplicant as well. Because of finanical and family problems (my dad was very sick and was put on disability, couldnt work so I had to bring home the bacon and my mom is very uncooperative - that's whole other can of worms) I couldnt apply to spectacular post bacc programs, go out of state, travel or volunteer that much (im lucky that i found a relatively well paying research position). How do I address this issue in essays without coming off as whiny? I am, however, in graduate school pursuing a masters in biomedical sciences, concentrating in hematology and immunology at the local university.

It's a hardship that I had to hold up, and if anything it helped me mature and handle a lot of stress and pressure. I couldn't turn back on my family and had to sacrifice a lot of my time to raise my little sister and make sure my dad didn't go into depression after everything that he's been put through. My family (minus the mother) have been supportive of me but I feel like I lost a lot of time to work on improving my application. (this also translates to a 2 pt loss on my mcats the second time around 30R to 28R, the two pts was in PS, VS and BS stayed the same - I was working and going to school full time).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I heart SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Topspin82 said:
Hi guys,

I'm a reapplicant as well. Because of finanical and family problems (my dad was very sick and was put on disability, couldnt work so I had to bring home the bacon and my mom is very uncooperative - that's whole other can of worms) I couldnt apply to spectacular post bacc programs, go out of state, travel or volunteer that much (im lucky that i found a relatively well paying research position). How do I address this issue in essays without coming off as whiny? I am, however, in graduate school pursuing a masters in biomedical sciences, concentrating in hematology and immunology at the local university.

It's a hardship that I had to hold up, and if anything it helped me mature and handle a lot of stress and pressure. I couldn't turn back on my family and had to sacrifice a lot of my time to raise my little sister and make sure my dad didn't go into depression after everything that he's been put through. My family (minus the mother) have been supportive of me but I feel like I lost a lot of time to work on improving my application. (this also translates to a 2 pt loss on my mcats the second time around 30R to 28R, the two pts was in PS, VS and BS stayed the same - I was working and going to school full time).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I heart SDN.

I would definitely work all that in the secondaries. I'm sure adcoms understand how life can be really tough for some applicants. If you're worried about being "whiny", write it in such a way that you have become a better person through all this. I wish you luck!

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=6432