Quick Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jul.g

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster. I'm preparing for interview questions and SDN has been great! I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on one question: "Do you prefer to work individually or in a group/team?"

I think working in a team is the "right" answer here, and I have worked in a team as working professional, but I honestly enjoy working by myself. Are there any specializations in dentistry where this might be an advantage? For medicine, a pathologist is capable of working alone. I'm not sure if there's way to apply this to dentistry.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think most procedures require an assistant, across all specialties, during procedures. Do you like professional autonomy (not answering to anyone or getting paid a salary by a boss) or do you like physically working alone in the room by yourself? I think dentistry is highly individualistic in that you are the decision maker once you own a practice, but you are always working with your team. I would just say that I value the independence that dentistry allows but that I also appreciate the teamwork that goes into creating a successful dental practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks pookatooth that's a good way to phrase it. I would say I'm self-driven and enjoy/am capable of making decisions as my work day goes along to get the job done. I'm also comfortable being by myself. That said I'm not bothered working with others, and need to for the field I'm in (research). I think I should focus on the autonomy side of dentistry like you described and how I've worked with others in a team in the past

Reactions: 1 user