Quick LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sublimize23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm asking a dentist I've been working with all summer to write me a letter pretty soon. Before I do, I want to make sure I have the process down pat. I'll be applying for the 2010 cycle, so summer '09. Does the letter get sent to my school who is making a file for me? Or directly to AADSAS? How does it get sent to all the schools I apply to?
Also, what is the timing for the Kaplan DAT course? Ideally, I'd like to start the class next May when spring semester ends, and from what I understand it is an 8 week class. So that would put me somewhere around mid to end july for a test date. Is this too late? My GPA is decent (3.32) and should be a little higher at the end of next year, but I think getting my app in early would definitely be advantageous for me, correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! If you want to apply for the 2010 cycle, you can apply the earliest mid-May. Even though it seems like you may have been shadowing for a while, I would wait to ask for a LOR until it is closer to when you are applying. I know my pre-med adviser told us it would be best if you had the letters written in the same year (ex. letterhead says 09, you apply spring of 09) that you are applying. I'm sure it is not a huge deal either way though -- just thought I would pass it along. If your school is making a file for you, you can have the letter sent there. Many schools write committee letters and this letter will include info from all of your LOR's -- including the dentist. Your adviser should submit your letter to AADSAS and then they will send it to all the schools you apply to. I'm sure your adviser will be more knowledgeable about this than me, but that's what I'm pretty sure happens. As for Kaplan classes, you would have to look up what dates they are offered in your area. You can go to the Kaplan website and search for dates/locations there. I know for me, there were no DAT classes in my city so I had to drive 1.5 hrs each way. I chose to take the class last summer and am taking my DAT this summer. As long as you review the material well, you should be fine. As for when to take your DAT, that is personal preference. Many people take it well into the summer and still get accepted, but these people tend to have above average stats from what I've heard. You could always submit your application online in May/June so that is done, and then send them your DAT's afterwards. Just know that most schools won't review your app until it is complete. But in this case, most schools will also not flat out reject you if say your GPA is lower than they usually like, they will wait for your DAT scores. Just remember the earlier you take it the earlier your chances are of acceptance. But by all means don't take it until you are ready. Hope all this was helpful, anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Hey! If you want to apply for the 2010 cycle, you can apply the earliest mid-May. Even though it seems like you may have been shadowing for a while, I would wait to ask for a LOR until it is closer to when you are applying. I know my pre-med adviser told us it would be best if you had the letters written in the same year (ex. letterhead says 09, you apply spring of 09) that you are applying. I'm sure it is not a huge deal either way though -- just thought I would pass it along. If your school is making a file for you, you can have the letter sent there. Many schools write committee letters and this letter will include info from all of your LOR's -- including the dentist. Your adviser should submit your letter to AADSAS and then they will send it to all the schools you apply to. I'm sure your adviser will be more knowledgeable about this than me, but that's what I'm pretty sure happens. As for Kaplan classes, you would have to look up what dates they are offered in your area. You can go to the Kaplan website and search for dates/locations there. I know for me, there were no DAT classes in my city so I had to drive 1.5 hrs each way. I chose to take the class last summer and am taking my DAT this summer. As long as you review the material well, you should be fine. As for when to take your DAT, that is personal preference. Many people take it well into the summer and still get accepted, but these people tend to have above average stats from what I've heard. You could always submit your application online in May/June so that is done, and then send them your DAT's afterwards. Just know that most schools won't review your app until it is complete. But in this case, most schools will also not flat out reject you if say your GPA is lower than they usually like, they will wait for your DAT scores. Just remember the earlier you take it the earlier your chances are of acceptance. But by all means don't take it until you are ready. Hope all this was helpful, anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you! I guess I will wait to ask for the letter... I know he won't forget about me but I would really prefer to do things in person.. I'm a very personable type of guy, but I'll see what I can work out. Unfortunately I've realized applying late july will put me at a disadvantage but I really think it's my only option... I don't "need" the class to make me study, but to me, that big DAT book is quite a daunting task. I'm open to suggestions though.