Quick majors from elite colleges

Discussion in 'hSDN' started by metalhead1023, Dec 4, 2008.

1. metalhead1023

metalhead1023 High School Student
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I know you can complete a college major quicker than four years if you do much extra work. But, can someone easily complete a bachelors degree in two years, at an elite college.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If we include summers, that gives you six semesters to finish over 120 credit hours. Would definetly not be easy, very possibly impossible when you figure that if your a major with lots of labs, labs can take 3-4 hours per week each. I would imagine your grades would also suffer trying to pull this off. If you want to speed through college three years is a much more attainable goal.

3. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Unless you have a significant amount of credit coming into a 4-year institution, I don't see it happening. I also don't foresee any school letting you attempt combining 4 years into 2.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    why would anyone wnat to cut their time in college in half?

5. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

It's possible, but extremely unlikely, and not advantageous.

If you have a combination of many AP credits, and take multiple courses for credit during the summer preceding your freshman year, and the following summer, as well as taking heavy loads of classes during the year, there is a possibility of accomplishing that. You would run into obstacles because few, if any, upper level classes are offered during summer sessions, and many courses are offered only per year, or on alternate years. This creates a scheduling conflict for students when the only available time slots for two required courses overlap.

Other than the disadvantage of the stress caused by such a full schedule, it is also not possible to participate in as many activities during your limited free time over that two year course as others as others do over a complete four year course. It is likely that the person's GPA would not be as high as it would have been had he taken a more reasonable approach. If he desired to attend professional school immediately afterwards, the applications would have to be submitted after the first year of college. (Only one year's worth of activities would show up, in competition with all of those who had three year's worth.) It would also limit the choice of professional schools because many will not consider anyone who graduates in less than three years. Scholarships often will not cover classes taken over the summer

Possible, yes. Wise, probably not.

6. Algophiliac

Algophiliac Someday...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Two years does not seem reasonable, although three years may have some potential. You specifically mentioned an elite college, which would have SO many opportunities open for you, such as internships, study abroad, clubs, and great research. What would be your reasoning for cutting all of that down?

A chance like college only comes once! There's no reason to speed up the process of becoming a doctor, because when the monotony of real life hits-you'll regret it.

As Humid (great avatar! :p) mentioned, you'd be limiting the scope of college to just grades and other requirements. GPA, MCAT, experience, and etc. will most likely be much lower than if you choose to stick with a three or four-year plan.

7. e p i c

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Don't do it man. College will likely be the best time of your life. It's a shame that you probably won't realize this until it's behind you. You wouldn't be the first.

8. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is a great point. Looking back (graduating in May) I can say I had a great time. However, I probably could have had a better time. My biggest regret is not spreading myself out amongst more people. A lot of friends? Sure. A lot of good friends? Probably not.

Make sure you also choose your college based on fit. I have done a lot at the university I'm at, but there aren't times when I question my choice in schools, financially and socially.

9. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I will have completed college in 2 years post-high school graduate. However, like others have said, I did come in with 54 credits (from a 4 year college). If you can to it, I would recommend it, if that's what you want to do. However, don't let your GPA slide. Additionally, I think 'being green behind the ears' is tough when applying to professional school, too...

10. GZA

GZA Marcel who?
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At my UG (I consider it "elite", not HYP however), an individual graduated in a single year (made quite a ruckus).

11. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    <---will be a resident next year

Ok, now that I've established that I have a bit of perspective, I'm going to tell you that it should be possible to do what you want to do, but it would also be a mistake. College shouldn't be a stop on the way to becoming a doctor. That's what med school is for. College rounds you out, gives you perspective, gives you a chance to see who you are, and gives you a chance to enjoy life. If I had not gone to a school that was right for me, and just rushed myself through college hell-bent on getting to med school, I would not be nearly as happy with my life as I am right now.

Not to mention I'd have a much harder time dealing with my patients.

12. gopher22

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I second that.

13. DrJonesss

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what they said. You've got the rest of your life to work yourself to death, take it easy. In 10 years, you won't remember that time you studied really hard and got a 98 on your Biochem test. You will remember, however, the time you drank too much and woke up passed out on a fence in an unknown part of north philadelphia (not my own story hahaha).