Quick 'n easy question (electron configuration)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinM88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Electron configuration of P2+ (phosphorus 2+)?

w/ half-filled p orbital I would do: [Ne]3p3
without half-filled p orbital I would do: [Ne]3s2 3p1

I usually go w/ the half-filled orbital answer since that's more stable...so why is it the latter?

Members don't see this ad.

I think 3p is higher energy than 3s so you'd rather remove electrons from there ... also possible that half-filled p orbital doesn't make up for losing the entire s-orbital

I think 3p is higher energy than 3s so you'd rather remove electrons from there ... also possible that half-filled p orbital doesn't make up for losing the entire s-orbital

I initially do remove the 2 electrons from the p orbital, but then I notice that I could “promote” those s orbital electrons into the p orbital because I see it would create a half filled p orbital @.@ Looking for a definite answer on second part ><

The half-filled orbital rule generally only works with transition metals and the filling of d (from n-1) vs. s (from n), where n is principal quantum number. The reason is more quantum mechanical in nature and beyond the scope of most general chemistry courses but in short, the d (n-1) orbitals are very close in energy to the s :thumbdown: orbitals in energy if you do the calculation and so you get a little added stabilization from half-full d orbitals that lower them slightly. This slight lowering is enough to lower the d (n-1) orbital below the s :thumbdown:. It is not enough to lower p below s for the same n shell.

Reactions: 1 users