Quick! Need advice about interview today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I was lucky to be accepted to what is basically my top choice program back in December (IS). A few days later I received an II for a program that I wouldn’t attend but I kind of just felt like I should take the interview because I just have that attitude so deeply ingrained in me to not turn down an opportunity through this whole process. The interview is supposed to be this afternoon, and I truly just do not have the energy in me and feel like what is the point if I won’t attend anyway. I would rather just spend my day doing my work from home job so I can earn money for my family.

Am I correct that the worst that could happen if I withdraw last minute is that I burn a bridge for residency in the future? If I wouldn’t want to do residency there, should I not worry? Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I was lucky to be accepted to what is basically my top choice program back in December (IS). A few days later I received an II for a program that I wouldn’t attend but I kind of just felt like I should take the interview because I just have that attitude so deeply ingrained in me to not turn down an opportunity through this whole process. The interview is supposed to be this afternoon, and I truly just do not have the energy in me and feel like what is the point if I won’t attend anyway. I would rather just spend my day doing my work from home job so I can earn money for my family.

Am I correct that the worst that could happen if I withdraw last minute is that I burn a bridge for residency in the future? If I wouldn’t want to do residency there, should I not worry? Any advice appreciated!
Not guaranteed to burn the residency bridge. Just let them know that you need to deal with an unanticipated urgent matter and thank them for the opportunity and apologize for the inconvenience caused. This will help prevent any further time from being spent on your application.

However, in the future, do try to give the program some advanced notice, even if it is just a few days. That would give another applicant the chance to interview, and prevent your interviewers from wasting their time reviewing your app. One of my classmates got his only acceptance because someone else withdrew their app several days before the interview date, which allowed him to interview late into the cycle. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
Not guaranteed to burn the residency bridge. Just let them know that you need to deal with an unanticipated urgent matter and thank them for the opportunity and apologize for the inconvenience caused. This will help prevent any further time from being spent on your application.

However, in the future, do try to give the program some advanced notice, even if it is just a few days. That would give another applicant the chance to interview, and prevent your interviewers from wasting their time reviewing your app. One of my classmates got his only acceptance because someone else withdrew their app several days before the interview date. Just my thoughts.
I totally agree. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user