quick orgo Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swamprat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does Rf(R sub f) mean? Its from a practice test :

"Does the product have a higher or lower Rf than the starting material?"

Members don't see this ad.

I'm almost positive that it refers to the distance the solvent travels in TLC (thin layer chromatography).

EDIT: A quick wiki read-through somewhat confirms what I said earlier. Rf, or retention factor, is the ratio of the distance the substance travels to the distance the solvent travels. If you remember doing TLC in ochem lab, it's a pretty easy concept to grasp. Say you dab the plate with some random solution and then you let the solvent migrate up the plate, these two components will each travel a unique distance from the "start" line you drew on the plate. The ratio of their distances is Rf.

Last edited:
I'm almost positive that it refers to the distance the solvent travels in TLC (thin layer chromatography).

EDIT: A quick wiki read-through somewhat confirms what I said earlier. Rf, or retention factor, is the ratio of the distance the substance travels to the distance the solvent travels. If you remember doing TLC in ochem lab, it's a pretty easy concept to grasp. Say you dab the plate with some random solution and then you let the solvent migrate up the plate, these two components will each travel a unique distance from the "start" line you drew on the plate. The ratio of their distances is Rf.

Thanks