QUICK POLL: FOR THOSE WHO HAVE TAKEN THE MCAT MORE THAN ONCE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DZT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm taking the MCAT in Aug once again after getting a 29S on Apr2002. Out of curiosity, I just want to see what proportion of you managed to improve on the second or even third time around. I need the encouragement, but still be perfectly honest! Thank you much.

Members don't see this ad.

i improved by 2 points in 3.5 weeks of preparation. i only used kaplan's comprehensive review and their higher score guarantee worked for me! =)

I took it twice...my score did not change! I am the exception, b/c there are many more that improve their score!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mind if i ask why you are retaking with a 29? unless you got below an 8 on any of the sections or are trying to get into a top-ranked school there is no substantial reason to go through a stressful retake with a 29 IMO. I was accepted to 2 allopathic schools and interviewed by 7 with a 29 (it was my second time applying and I had taken the MCAT previously with a lower score). Even as a CA resident you have a decent shot at getting an in-state interview somewhere if the rest of your application stands out. good luck!

The first time i took the test i didn't really study at all. I went to kaplan classes and that was about it, didn't even do the homework. I got a 25Q,(7/10/8). The second time i studied on my own using the materials from kaplan and also other resources like princeton review, columbia, and the silver bullet for the AAMC tests. I improved my score to 34-36R (13-15/11/10). Guess all I can say is to STUDY!!! and do a lot of the tests.

G,
what is the silver bullet for AAMC? What materials do you think helped the most?

To tell you the truth, the best ones, atleast from my perspective, were the AAMC tests. They are authentic and really do prepare you for what you can expect. I found the kaplan and columbia questions to be the worse case scenario types, which meant that they were OK, but you also need to be prepared for the mediocre questions. The silver bullet and the gold standard are two books that I found to be extremely good. They are very similar to what is found on the exams. Though I didn't buy the GOld Standard, I would recommend it. Also reading is very important for the verbal section. I think both of them are by Petersons. I found it on amazaon.com, so they are easily available. To tell you the truth, the main reason i did poorly the first time was just laziness. I think that continuous practise with the material and a consistent reading habits are the best way to prepare for the mcat. Hope it helps.