Quick Pre-req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad has 2 freshman bio courses.

Bio 1 : which covers cells and bacteria

Bio 2: which covers plants only

Because of this, my school's pre med curriculum doesn't include bio 2.

NYMC has accepted me and they require 2 semesters of general bio or the equivalent.

I have several advanced bio courses (microbio, several physiology courses, etc..) so I know bio.

Will this be a problem when I send in my official transcripts? Or is the fact that they accepted me an indicator I have met their requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

Or is the fact that they accepted me an indicator I have met their requirements?

This is probably a safe assumption, they review apps very thoroughly before sending out those wonderful acceptance letters. But this is one of those things where you really should just shoot them a quick email to confirm. I did something similar a month ago. Infinitely better than any reassurance you'll find here.

Members don't see this ad :)

NYMC has accepted me and they require 2 semesters of general bio or the equivalent.

I have several advanced bio courses (microbio, several physiology courses, etc..) so I know bio.

Will this be a problem when I send in my official transcripts? Or is the fact that they accepted me an indicator I have met their requirements?
Pre-reqs are classes you need to complete prior to matriculation, not acceptance. Being accepted does not indicate that you've met their requirements yet. You definitely should just contact them, you shouldn't risk them rescinding the acceptance based on speculation from SDNers haha

edit: but I'm sure the upper div bio courses will be just fine. still worth checking though
This is probably a safe assumption, they review apps very thoroughly before sending out those wonderful acceptance letters. But this is one of those things where you really should just shoot them a quick email to confirm. I did something similar a month ago. Infinitely better than any reassurance you'll find here.
Nope

Pre-reqs are classes you need to complete prior to matriculation, not acceptance. Being accepted does not indicate that you've met their requirements yet. You definitely should just contact them, you shouldn't risk them rescinding the acceptance based on speculation from SDNers haha

Nope
I'm gonna call the school tomorrow and ask.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should ask just to be sure but it probably shouldn't be a problem. When you ask, make sure to make clear the reason why your school doesn't require bio 2 as part of the pre-med curriculum (i.e. because it's plant biology, etc.). And that you have taken several upper-level bio courses.

This might be a case when email is actually better than calling, if you can attach a pdf of your transcript and your school course catalog they can look at whatever they need to be 100% certain and confirm in writing for you that you're in the clear.

Reactions: 1 user
Parroting what my adcomm told me. What have you heard to the contrary?
I know a few people who have been accepted to schools even though they haven't fulfilled the prereqs yet, and they're rushing to take the necessary classes right now prior to matriculation

Parroting what my adcomm told me. What have you heard to the contrary?
It's just how the system works, reqs are at matriculation not at application or acceptance. So someone missing a class can be accepted just fine, but they are then expected to take it in the Spring or Summer before they matriculate.

dis a sign u should go on over to UVM !!! :joyful: lol

Just checked my schools website, I was correct:

Bio 1: "principles of biology with lab"

Bio 2: "plant biology"

My school's pre-med curriculum recommends bio 1 followed by microbio to fulfil requirements at most school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked my schools website, I was correct:

Bio 1: "principles of biology with lab"

Bio 2: "plant biology"

My school's pre-med curriculum recommends bio 1 followed by microbio to fulfil requirements at most school.
I'd personally still want to get something in writing from them. Low effort to take away any chance of a big problem occuring

This might be a case when email is actually better than calling, if you can attach a pdf of your transcript and your school course catalog they can look at whatever they need to be 100% certain and confirm in writing for you that you're in the clear.
They require that I send in official transcripts prior to matriculation, should I just send them in now with a note asking to clarify?

They require that I send in official transcripts prior to matriculation, should I just send them in now with a note asking to clarify?
Yeah they would require a sealed copy sent directly from your registrar after you commit to them, this is just so they can see exactly what you took

It's just how the system works, reqs are at matriculation not at application or acceptance. So someone missing a class can be accepted just fine, but they are then expected to take it in the Spring or Summer before they matriculate.

Yeah I get that, but surely they'll verify that you're on track to complete the prerequisites. If there's no indication you're going to finish them anywhere on your transcript or in your app, you wouldn't make it that far to begin with.

Yeah I get that, but surely they'll verify that you're on track to complete the prerequisites. If there's no indication you're going to finish them anywhere on your transcript or in your app, you wouldn't make it that far to begin with.
To be fair, if they didn't review pre-requisites before acceptances/invites, there would be no point to filling them out in Amcas

I know a few people who have been accepted to schools even though they haven't fulfilled the prereqs yet, and they're rushing to take the necessary classes right now prior to matriculation

Sure, but did the schools accept them without ever checking to make sure that the prerequisites were going to be filled sometime in the future? Why would a school accept someone without any understanding, either on the transcript or on the application, between them and the applicant that they're going to be completed? If OP has given 0 indication that he's ever gonna take Bio 2, and they still accepted him, they probably thought it was fine.

Sure, but did the schools accept them without ever checking to make sure that the prerequisites were going to be filled sometime in the future? Why would a school accept someone without any understanding, either on the transcript or on the application, between them and the applicant that they're going to be completed? If OP has given 0 indication that he's ever gonna take Bio 2, and they still accepted him, they probably thought it was fine.

To be fair, microbio covered the relevant topics from bio 2, (bacteria, genetics, etc..)

I think my HPAC's reasoning is micro is more appropriate while still technically being a basic biology course.

If anything, i'd ask them to consider counting micro with lab as my biology 2 requirement. I doubt it will be an issue since my school's HPAC does place a lot of people in Med school successfully. I trust them on this particular issue.

I'm almost sure this won't be a problem. My undergrad program only required 1 semester of gen chem, and nymc accepted it no problem. I'm an m1 btw

I'm almost sure this won't be a problem. My undergrad program only required 1 semester of gen chem, and nymc accepted it no problem. I'm an m1 btw
Thanks for the reply! I really don't think it will be an issue, I have plenty of bio courses to fulfill the requirement. At least 25 credits in bio alone.

Yeah they would require a sealed copy sent directly from your registrar after you commit to them, this is just so they can see exactly what you took
How would you recommend I word this email?

How would you recommend I word this email?
To whom it may concern,
Attached are my transcripts, it is of concern to me if my biology coursework(bio 1, followed by microbiology) meets the school prerequisite requirement. I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding this matter.
Thank you for your time
-Rogue

At least that is how I would word it..
I reckon you could mail official and attach unofficial?

To whom it may concern,
Attached are my transcripts, it is of concern to me if my biology coursework(bio 1, followed by microbiology) meets the school prerequisite requirement. I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding this matter.
Thank you for your time
-Rogue

At least that is how I would word it..
I reckon you could mail official and attach unofficial?

Thanks,

I think official transcripts have to be mailed, I'll probably attach the unofficial ones and make a note in the email that official transcripts will be forthcoming.

Just as an aside for possible future readers, some schools specifically state that advanced courses cannot be used in lieu of specifically listed prereqs. It shouldnt be assumed that the behavior at NYMC can be generally applied at all schools.
Very true, I'm going to notify my school's HPAC their recommendations may not be valid at all schools.

Thanks,

I think official transcripts have to be mailed, I'll probably attach the unofficial ones and make a note in the email that official transcripts will be forthcoming.
I would also say you are planning to take the missing class in summer if necessary
Don't take my word for it though
Ask an adcom if that would be a good idea to add

I would also say you are planning to take the missing class in summer if necessary
Don't take my word for it though
Ask an adcom if that would be a good idea to add

So i just checked again and it appears (from the NYMC website) that they review if pre-requisites have been met PRIOR to even looking at the whole application. They note specific cases where they will review an application if certain pre-requisites (such as BCH or Orgo) haven't been taken. They say that acceptance would be predicated on the applicant completing the course prior to matriculation. They imply that if pre-reqs aren't met they wouldn't even review the app.

I feel like the definitely would have notified me if I was expected to complete additional coursework, and that if I didn't meet their standards they wouldn't have even looked at me.

So i just checked again and it appears (from the NYMC website) that they review if pre-requisites have been met PRIOR to even looking at the whole application. They note specific cases where they will review an application if certain pre-requisites (such as BCH or Orgo) haven't been taken. They say that acceptance would be predicated on the applicant completing the course prior to matriculation. They imply that if pre-reqs aren't met they wouldn't even review the app.

I feel like the definitely would have notified me if I was expected to complete additional coursework, and that if I didn't meet their standards they wouldn't have even looked at me.
Nothing wrong with clarification
If you have even slight doubt, I would ask.

@RogueBanana I think you're fine, just give a call. I don't see them being that nit-picky and since you're already in you could worst case take a quick bio summer class anywhere accredited and be ready to go.

I really doubt it would have been overlooked on their part, but an admissions counselor would know the definitive answer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app